When to take the final gravity?

USAinNOR

Trial Member
Reaction score
So ive just bottled my first batch, ever.

When I took the sample for my F.G., I took it before bottling anything and i got a 1.020. But after some time i notcied that there was a tremendous amount of sediment at the bottom, so i decided to take another sample. The second sample was much, much clearer and I got a reading of 1.0015'ish. :shock:

So now I'm understandably confused. Its a big differance in ABV.

So can anyone clearify this inigma for me?

when you took your sample was it in your carboy or the gravity reader tube

It was in a 100ml tube w/ the sample filled to the 100ml mark. After the sediment settled, there was 'bout an inch at the bottom. The second sample I took (which had absolutely no sediment), I noticed that the sample level at the 100ml mark, my hydrometer sank to the bottom and I got the same 1.020 reading. So I added a few ml, just enough so the hydrmtr wouldn't sink all the way and that's when I got the 1.0015'ish reading.
Was that like a total noob move or what?

I always just make sure and add Irish moss in the boil, let it set a few minutes after cooled then add my hydrometer to the carboy right on top and spin it a few times, that gives a better reading for me

for most beers 5 to 7 days and its close to being done

for the final. same open the lid "if a bucket" make sure there is no foam and no bubbles still coming up, dip in sanitizer and add right to th wort

sounds like you just didn't have the sample jar filled enough to get a good reading. if the hydrometer isn't floating, your reading will be wrong.

Ok.
Good to know. I was under the impression that I had to have it at a specific level in order to get an accurate reading.
So basically, even though I missed my o.g. (Which should've been 1.060, but ended up w/ 1.044) my beer is still getting the targeted ABV of around 5+%. Since the targeted f.g. should've been around 1.010, but I got a reading of 1.0015.
Right?

If I interpret the original question correctly, the question is how do I know when my beer is finished. I generally take gravity readings a couple days apart for a few days. Gives me a chance to taste my beer and tells me if fermentation is finished. If the readings are the same (within a degree or so of each other) the beer is done. As far as filling the sample jar the entire way, what I do is place the hydrometer in the jar, pull a sample with my thief and fill the jar until I can see the hydrometer floating. Then I know I'm getting a good read. Another thing that will make the hydrometer read high is if the beer is still fermenting, CO2 bubbles stick to it, essentially floating it up higher than it should read. Always spin or agitate the hydrometer before reading to knock the bubbles loose.

Nosybear said:
If I interpret the original question correctly, the question is how do I know when my beer is finished. I generally take gravity readings a couple days apart for a few days. Gives me a chance to taste my beer and tells me if fermentation is finished. If the readings are the same (within a degree or so of each other) the beer is done. As far as filling the sample jar the entire way, what I do is place the hydrometer in the jar, pull a sample with my thief and fill the jar until I can see the hydrometer floating. Then I know I'm getting a good read. Another thing that will make the hydrometer read high is if the beer is still fermenting, CO2 bubbles stick to it, essentially floating it up higher than it should read. Always spin or agitate the hydrometer before reading to knock the bubbles loose.

This^^^^^^

It sounds like you missed your O.G. by 16 points? Make sure your volumes are accurate. Too much water added will dilute the wort. Also (if using extract) make sure you mixed the water addition well before pulling a sample.

The tube I use for gravity readings has a fill mark I put on it to know the hydrometer will be close to the top of tube but not overfill the tube.Works well and reading is up top so tired eyes don't have to read it through the tube.

Back