When a recipie says dry hop - 3days, does this mean during primary fermaentation

Andy.A

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm currently brewing the
Strawberry Vanilla Milkshake IPA - https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/543447/strawberry-vanilla-milkshake-ipa

It says to dry hop - 3 days, does this mean during the primary fermentation? It's confusing because I was led to believe that this is normally done during secondary. It also states to add the fruit during secondary so it would probably state the same for the dry hopping then no?

Has anyone done this recipe or can anyone help explain, please?

I also added 'porridge rolled oats' instead of 'flaked oats' and only just realized they are different - this was only for the steeping stage but could this be an issue if so have I totally fucked it. Any wisdom would be appreciated

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 21.07.01.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 21.07.01.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 102
Traditionally it means after fermentation, or in the secondary. The intent is to add the hops 3 days before bottling or transferring to the keg.

I'm relatively new to brewing but have done a couple of all grain brews now, I realise you posted this a few weeks ago but gonna throw my two cents in still seeing you didn't have many replies and others might have the same question. As far as I understand you can dry hop during primary but you want to make sure the fermentation is almost complete, hence the dry hop additions typically being added at day 3 or 4. I'd just take a gravity reading to see how far from your target final gravity you are at day 3 and if you are close then go for it, if you are too high then maybe wait another 24 hours and check again.

If this is being brewed as NEIPA, then it could mean 3 days in primary fermentation... It's a process called Bio-Transformation I believe

Back