What to Brew with Northern Brewer Hops

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have 16 oz of Northern Brewer hops, what style of beer is best to brew with this?
My favorite styles of beer are IPA's, Porters, Stouts, English Ales.
Not a lager guy...
TIA
Craigerrr

they will work with any beer as a bittering hop but also good as a finishing hop in darker beers, browns and stouts

With that amount, might be the perfect opportunity to do a parti-gyle brew day. Big stout, followed by a dark mild, porter, etc from the leftovers.

Just used some NB for a bitter with some NB for bittering, some for aroma. Came out quite tasty.

I'm a Northern Brewer fan. They are a pretty versatile hop imo. I use them as a bittering hop, late additions, and dry hopping. Good stuff!

A California Common would be a good choice. I have seen them used in Pale Ales and American Reds as well.

^^^ I brewed with WLP810 last summer and bought some Anchor Steam to see if the yeast contribution was consistent. It definitely was...there was a certain character that translated across the differences in style and ingredients and lent a very distinctive flavor. The beer I brewed was quite good and the Anchor Steam held up to it's standing as the original craft beer. I think it deserves more respect and attention than it seems to get nowadays.

Got one on tap here. Fermented with 34/70 at 60F with a D rest at 70. Turned out pretty good. 90% Briess Brewers Malt, 10% C-60, 1 oz. Northern Brewer at 60, 10 & 1. OG1.046, 44 IBUs and 5% ABV.

Thanks for all of the great responses!

Is anchor steam what you would call a lagered ale?

Thanks for all of the great responses!

Is anchor steam what you would call a lagered ale?
Anchor Steam is the original Cali Common. Like Foster's Lager, it's a "warm" brewed beer with a basic lagerThey called it a steam lager because they'd cool it down by running into big tanks on the roof where it would make clouds of steam in the cool San Francisco air. At least that's one explanation of the origins of the term.
A lot of folks think of a beer brewed with a lager yeast at (low) ale temperatures as a "steam lager". The German yeasts like 34-70 or S-23 do a nice job of making a beer but they don't get nearly the interesting flavor profile that WLP810 or one of the other yeasts bred from the Anchor Steam brewery strain does.

Sounds like an interesting beer. Will have to add that to the “Future Brews” list.

Next up is a coffee porter, which I have all of the ingredients for, but I will definitely put an anchor steam one and an ESB on my to do list.

Thanks again for all of the great responses, much appreciated folks!

I made a very good red ale with northern brewer once. And of course Anchor Steam clones are always good.

Back