What should I make with these hops... Group Recipe!?

hinodriver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ive got some hops in the freezer I need to use up... about 2oz of each.

Cascade
Columbus
Simcoe
Citra
Styrian Goldings

I was thinking I might put together a IPA with these hops... Lets see where this goes... As for grain I live close to my LHBS so I can run out and put together a grain bill! Cheers

For 5gal or 21L
10# 2 row
1# Victory malt
1# Vienna
.25# carapils
Use Columbus for bittering 60min.
Use all other hops at whirlpool for 10 min. @180f
Whitelabs Cal-01 or Wyeast 1056 or safale-05
Not sure how the Goldings will fit in though. Won't know til ya try it!

Just a shot at it.

as above but id go some wheat malt in there Vienna and Rye equal amounts like 15 % against your 2 row base and throw a dash of crystal in there 5%. then ferment well and add some decent dry hop to it post fermentation.

I'd use the goldings as 60 min hops. As noted above the flavor will get covered over. Then use all the rest as late adds/dry hops. Should make a good ipa.
Or do 2 batches. One with the rest of the hops as an ipa and one blond ale using the goldings.

I’ve got a healthy 1.5L starter going. So today is brew day. I’m going to take a bit from each post and come up with a recipe. I’ll make a 15% rye/wheat, 5% crystal 60. I’ve never threw hops in at 180. I’m going to try that. I think 2oz Columbus at 60 might be over bitter. So I’m moving 1oz to 15mins and the rest at whirlpool. Stay tuned for the brew session.

I’ve got a healthy 1.5L starter going. So today is brew day. I’m going to take a bit from each post and come up with a recipe. I’ll make a 15% rye/wheat, 5% crystal 60. I’ve never threw hops in at 180. I’m going to try that. I think 2oz Columbus at 60 might be over bitter. So I’m moving 1oz to 15mins and the rest at whirlpool. Stay tuned for the brew session.
good idea throw them hops in late better aroma and flavour than too much bitter...

Maybe too late to reply, but what about trying to get more than one batch out of all these hops? Build a recipe with lower BUGU ratios, and let the hops deliver post boil. It doesn't take a ton of hops to have a hoppy beer. Citra WP and DH an ounce each in a beer around 4.7% will make an impact.

Back