what goes in the fermentor

grainy one

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to get an idea of what everybody thinks or dose when they end up with alot of hops and cold break in the fermenter . Other the having to deal with it when you transfer to, in my case the bottling bucket, what impact can it have on your average 6% ale?

There was a Brewing network show on it that I listened to a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, it didn't really make a noticeable difference and the beer where they dumped all the break into the fermentor actually cleared up quicker and in about 1/2 the cases was the preferred end beer.
You can listen to it the archives and make your own decision and maybe even do an experiment on your own.
Let us know if you do.
Brian

Ive tried this so many way its pathetic, Ive even cold crashed my mashed wort and only pulled off the liquid to ferment and even though this seems like the thing to do in fact its not, the yeast needs nutrients in that trub, it helps promote a healthy fermentation. If you do not have it, you can have a very inactive and slow fermentation, "I'm saying this from experience" Ive also had wort with hops in the bottom and poured the wort minus the last bit of hops into another bucket now that works fine but you might loose some volume so be careful

I've tried both ways, too, and can't tell a difference. Lore is that leaving the trub and hop debris out lessens harshness. I can't tell that it does. Leaving it in the kettle costs me a lot of beer so in general it depends on how closely I hit my fermentor target whether I dump or not.

Back