what are you doing with home brew today

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Ozarks Mountain Brew, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    #4681 Trialben, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    So these are for dispensing wine not under any pressure interesting could use it for a cask style setup..
    Anyone know much about these?
    20200714_064518.jpg

Looks like their called keykeg the outside of the bag is under pressure and I think this pushes the contence out the bladder.
    20200714_070707.jpg

2. Semper Sitientem

Semper Sitientem Active Member

Retired
    Milled grain for a Kilkenny clone. I will attempt to resurrect John Smithwick from the grave.

Jnh, Craigerrr and BOB357 like this.
  3. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

If you come up with a good clone for either their Red or Pale, please share. I developed a liking for both while touring in Ireland. The wife's family thought it sacrilegious that I always ordered Smithwick's while they all drank their Guinness.

4. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Well-Known Member

They're one use disposable kegs. We see them Pop up here and there in the states, but they're not very popular here. They're mostly used for shipping beer one way and not having to worry about kegs returning. Like festivals.

Trialben likes this.
  5. Semper Sitientem

Retired
    This is my first shot at it - fingers crossed. Kilkenny was one of my favorites until taken over by Guinness/Diageo.

Trialben and BOB357 like this.
  6. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

To me the key to Kilkenney is the nitrogen, I sure enjoy one from time to time.

BOB357 and Semper Sitientem like this.
  7. Semper Sitientem

Retired
    I agree. There’s no way I’ll be able to replicate characteristics that nitro adds, but I’m hoping to get close enough so John Smithwick will lay a sword upon my shoulder vs. taking a swing at me with it.

Jnh and BOB357 like this.
  8. BarbarianBrewer

BarbarianBrewer Well-Known Member

Last year I was talking to one of the VPs at work who is from Ireland about a definitive Irish Red Ale. First he said in Ireland there is no such thing as an "Irish Red Ale" but, if I can get close to Smithwick's that it would please anyone in Ireland to drink it. So if anyone gets close to a Smithwick's clone, definitely post it!

BOB357 likes this.
  9. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

I made one attempt shortly after the Ireland trip. It turned out nice, but I couldn't tell you at this point what needed tweaking. Thinking I'll try and find a few bottles to refresh my memory and take another stab at it.

10. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

Keg King make these. They use the same mould for a home brew fermenter/keg thingy - https://www.keg-king.com.au/fermenter-king-junior.html.

I've been thinking about brewing a cask ale and your idea answers half the questions I've been asking myself. The other half is am I interested enough to spend the money on a hand pump? Probably not. But assuming I am, what sort of pressure is there in a cask?

I just finished a batch with two of these last week. Needed about 5 psi to do the closed transfer. So if you transfer into one of these with about 5 psi and attach a beer engine would that match a cask? It certainly sounds like it matches the bag in a box approach that a lot of U.K. home brewers use. Probably need the opinion of an expert like @Steve SPF ...

Steve SPF and Trialben like this.
  11. Trialben

Pest control tech
    The craft beer channel just did a covid lockdown video on making your own cask ale at home. He ordered the bag in a box style and a beer engine the results looked spectacular.

Mark Farrall likes this.
  12. Josh Hughes

Josh Hughes Well-Known Member

Teacher
    Had Kilkenny one time. I was in love and haven’t seen it sense

13. Josh Hughes

Josh Hughes Well-Known Member

Teacher
    Today I made an impromptu Dry stout. I had the first bottle of a bath I made and it didn’t carb. When I got up I felt like I needed redemption. Brew day went great. Now I wait

14. Trialben

Pest control tech
    You've done all you can now it's over to the yeast to make it beer:).

15. The Green Man

The Green Man Active Member

Just cranking the temp up on my mini cultured Saison/Belgian ale yeast brew. 1c a day. Upto 25c now will push to 26c and leave it there.

Vesparados, Megary and Trialben like this.
  16. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

Well, let's hope that it doesn't come to "off with his head"!

Trialben likes this.
  17. Trialben

Pest control tech
    Oh boy am I happy with how this bonkers stout is tasting in the first sample I took right now.
    A low down I didn't see fermentation it was done all in 24 . I added coconut as is straight to fermentor first night of day two and upped the temp to 33c gave the fermenter a good swirl.

The coconut has been in there what three days and gee I can actually smell the toasted coconut aroma and that creamy smell you get from it! 20200716_172110.jpg
    Sample is hot btw 33c hot ha but mouthfeel is full creamy and sweet all supporting that toasted oaty coconut flavour.

I'll leave as is for now then start the crash to drop the remaining floating coconut then package.
    Oh I'm looking forward to this one!:)

18. Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews Well-Known Member

Carpenter
    That gives me an idea, you may have just engineered a new racking system for me. I’ll post something when I work out the details.

Trialben likes this.
  19. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Will be checking gravity of a Pale Ale and a Cider to see if it's time to cold crash.

Trialben likes this.
  20. Steve SPF

Steve SPF Well-Known Member

Jeeps! If I'm the expert we're all in trouble :)

For me, there's only pressure in a cask as a result of secondary fermentation; either from putting it in there a couple of points short or priming with sugar (the priming I learned here - pro brewers don't do it but for homebrewers it's a decent approach)

I've been doing a lot of bag-in-box this year and really like it. There's no pressure involved and the beer sits in an effective vacuum which extends the shelf life - we still only get a week or so though.

Bag in box requires conditioning in the cask first though, so my process is to condition. Then tap/vent as usual, then once it's ready to drink it goes into the bag in box. It's a bit fiddly but works and isn't much pain once you get used to it.

Those key kegs, as somebody has said, are designed to take a bladder and the pressure works on the outside of the bladder. I've never seen one used with a hand pump / beer engine but don't see why they couldn't be if you can make the connection work. The beer engine would do the dispense work I'm thinking, providing the keykeg wasn't sealed and the bladder could collapse as it emptied then why would it not work?

Hand pumps are pretty expensive here. I got some for a good price but had to buy a lot of them. There are only two companies making them I think, Angram and EWL. Angram are the business but if you get one for £100 you've done ok. EWL are half of that for a decent one but I heard a story that they've gone pop, not sure if that's true but if they have then their pumps will get even more pricey.

I use pins, 4.5gl casks, but once you breach those you've three days and then the beer goes downhill PDQ. Those are pins in front of my titchy van :)

20190821_173604.jpg