what are you doing with home brew today

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Ozarks Mountain Brew, Oct 28, 2017.

1. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Well-Known Member

For the 1st time in years I didn't renew this year. The AHA is a mess, then it was a real hassle trying to renew so I sent an email and got little help. The next day I saw they cut two great figures and then hired someone at a huge salary. Figured I'd put money elsewhere this year.

2. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Next time just boil it down to the proper volume before starting you boil clock.

3. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

I had already renewed before the proverbial $hit hit the fan. Will watch closely and see what happens before I'm due next time.

Hawkbox and Megary like this.
  4. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

Just packaged a split batch I brewed for a friend. Though now that we're back in lockdown I'm not sure how I'm getting it to her.

She captured the yeast from a few locations at her farm and after scaling it up it's now confirmed as a monster. Attenuation of 1.00 on one half and 0.996 on the other. It's time to make sure I'm really cleaning everything that blend touches.

5. jmcnamara

jmcnamara Well-Known Member

Whats all this about?

6. thunderwagn

7. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

Without really knowing the details because I can't do anything AHA really anyway it doesn't seem that bad at face value. If they were spending more contracting him in than they will pay him in salary this could be a net win.

But as Bob mentioned, probably the time to wait and see.

8. thunderwagn

Could be and it all comes down to business. Over 17 people and two of your key figures cut because of covid 19 causing massive budget short falls.
    I just got kind of pissed on how big of a pain 8n the ass it was to renew my membership knowing, or thinking they were short on funds and just trying to do my part.

BOB357 likes this.
  9. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

Yeah that makes sense. Making it hard to give money is a good way to make people not give money.

jmcnamara and thunderwagn like this.
  10. thunderwagn

Haha. Yep!

11. jmcnamara

thunderwagn likes this.
  12. thunderwagn

Agreed

BOB357 likes this.
  13. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Having owned a business for almost 20 years I understand layoffs and downsizing when times are tough. You do what you gotta do to keep the doors open. COVID has decimated countless businesses. As a long time member of the AHA this hit too close to home for my comfort too. All we can do is hope they survive and continue to work on our behalf.

thunderwagn likes this.
  14. jmcnamara

And that's totally fair. But the optics of laying off a lot of people, then hiring a top dollar person does not look good at first glance. But i agree, let's see what they do from here and how it works out

thunderwagn likes this.
  15. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

The BA sees the AHA as being less important than it's core business. We're being sidelined as they concentrate on trying to save the craft beer industry. Even though we don't like the idea of our representation being shelved, we can probably all agree that the craft beer industry is more important right now. Hopefully, the AHA will survive, but we can expect it to be stuck in low gear for a long time.

Vesparados likes this.
  16. thunderwagn

Yeah, I agree @BOB357. Times are tough for a lot of businesses right now and the BA depends on having large festivals throughout the year to make most of their money. Sometimes we don't see or hear the full picture either of what is happening or what the future plan may be. I just thought, wow. You lay off almost half of your staff within two months time, then lay off the leaders of the BA and AHA and hire 1 top dollar guy.
    Here was a previous article in case you guys missed it.
    https://www.brewbound.com/news/brew...ditional-17-of-workforce-including-julia-herz

BOB357 likes this.
  17. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

I saw it last week. If the craft beer industry goes down, we go back into the dark ages of homebrewing. The supply chain will shrink considerably and likely only cater to the big boys needs. Hop growers that survive won't be growing the huge variety we've gotten used to and a lot of maltsters won't be doing as wide a variety of specialty malts.
    I think the BA is doing the right thing, I just hope this mess clears up soon and the AHA survives.

thunderwagn likes this.
  18. thunderwagn

I know it's been interesting seeing how some of the local breweries have been adapting to all the changes caused by covid. In our local news just yesterday there was an article about one of the breweries here is shuttering all of its establishments and only one small one will remain at a golf course. That particular one was purchased independently.
    To bad, they made great food and beer and have been around these parts forever. Some of these places just can't make it with 100% overhead and very limited seating.
    https://www.westword.com/restaurant...ly-closes-four-locations-sells-fifth-11740737

BOB357 likes this.
  19. Craigerrr

Craigerrr Well-Known Member

So far the local craft brewers in my area are doing well, maybe even better than before.
    They have very little overhead, and don't sell food, just beer.
    Two in particular (my two favorites) have both been closed at times because they ran out of beer.
    One is brewing to capacity, and can't keep up, the other was caught off guard by increased demand, and is now trying to get caught up again.
    I guess they are the fortunate ones, but if these guys were brew pubs, depending on foot traffic, and food sales, etc., they would likely be struggling at the very least.

jmcnamara likes this.
  20. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Just finished a 6 gallon batch of cider and put it into the fermentation fridge. Pitched about a pint of US West Coast. First time using ale yeast in cider. Hoping it comes out with just a tad of residual sweetness.

Megary, Group W and thunderwagn like this.