Brewing With Total Confidence
Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Ozarks Mountain Brew, Oct 28, 2017.
my rig is 12 feet wide with the dedicated sink that is, that's why it doesn't move
Kind or ironic, but I actually do just the opposite. I gravity feed water and pump wort. It's a pretty unconventional rig, but I set it up like this so I can get away with minimal lifting when I need to.
Don't know if you've seen the post for my current system: https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/emiab-2-vessel-system.11338 , but it works well for a beat up old goat.
Even though I am 1800 kms, or 1100 miles from home, I placed an order for ingredients for my next batch to pick up later this week when I am home.
A lazy day. Just sniffing the airlock of a happily bubbling saison. Smells great.
I'm a compulsive airlock sniffer. It's nothing I'm proud of; just happy.
Just leak testing the seals on the "improvements" I'm making to my system.
Just spinning up a starter for my Cascade Cream Ale that I'll be brewing Monday.
Have to finish assembling the Kentucky Breakfast Stout: More coffee, some whiskey and oak chips, set aside for at least a couple of months....
I'm adding a new cold air vent to my man cave, it's just too hot this year to drink much
Finished building my mash tun today. 12.5 Gallon, 3 layers of Reflectix on sides, one on lid, Cellotex on the bottom. Getting closer to all grain...
Neat, sure nicer than my Coleman cooler.
Have you come down on any preferred methods for getting the coffee in? I'm still trying different ones to work out my preference. So far:
cracked beans in the mash - very subtle but there, could probably get the same effect with a grain bill adjustment, but as I've got the beans for later stages...
cold brew at packaging - a bit of aroma, but no real guts to the coffee flavour
steeping beans - did a test in vodka solution, seemed to work well, trying it in the current batch when the fermentation finishes
Also looking at maybe a mix of whole and coarse ground beans for the steeping instead of just whole beans.
There are two coffee additions in this beer, the first is at flameout, the second is cold-brewed Kona when I racked it. Same would apply at packaging. I haven't tried in the mash or in vodka. But the other two extraction methods worked well.
Spent the best part of the day tinkering with the new to me 3V system. I had a few leaks to fix, determined that I need new regulators for the burners, and started working on insulation for the Mash Tun. Also moved fermenter fridge out to the garage.
Thought you'd at least spend a few days recuperating from your vacation
Ha! That's funny! Ya, we got home Wednesday evening, I went to work Thurs/Friday. I had planned to brew Friday night, but found the leaks and a few other issues... Gearing up for a batch this coming Friday.
I know the feeling, and I'm retired. When we got back from our trip to Ireland, I didn't have time to spit for 2 weeks, and was sick too. There's no rest for the wicked
Wanted to package my Oktoberfest but didn't get to it. Tomorrow, maybe...
Got kegs and lines cleaned, so all ready to keg and brew tomorrow.
Watching fermentation, I'll take a sample & probably transfer to Secondary tomorrow.
I had another Monday brew day, in which I brewed up a batch of Angie’s Bursting Citra, an American Pale Ale. With this recipe, I pushed the limits of my 3 gallon brew kettle (BIAB); during the mash, there was about a quarter inch of space left. At the end, it was a good day, achieving 81% brewhouse efficiency, putting about 1.75 gallons in fermenter.