what are you doing with home brew today

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Ozarks Mountain Brew, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Ward Chillington

Ward Chillington Well-Known Member

LOL...I'm almost ready to show off.

Still a proto type as I don't possess any welding skills and I was getting impatient with the materials I HAD versus the materials I WANTED but it does what I need...it's 3 or 4 tier gravity rig with one of the cheap brown 12 volt pumps that folds up and can be rolled around . On the upside, this is letting me test things out for a fraction of the price.

Anyhow, stay tuned ...pix coming, thanks for asking Head!

Trialben, Head First and Craigerrr like this.
  2. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Always a bit of anxiety with a new setup. I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. Good to start out with a familiar recipe. Will likely make it easier to fine tune your new equipment profile.

3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Bottling. I have two ready to go and a third close. Lemongrass Ginger Wheat and Schwarzbier.

4. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Well finally gave that keggerator back to bro my beer stock halved in an instance went from 6kegs to 3 Looks like I've got some stocking up do.

Vesparados, BOB357 and Craigerrr like this.
  5. Head First

Head First Well-Known Member

Just finished racking Tangerine Wheat to kegs(10gal). Cranked up co2 to 25#s to help it some with some rock n and roll n. Now chill n and waiting.

6. Ward Chillington

OK, so as promised, pix of the new rig. A few notes to myself...using a pump is great. I felt very good about not having to hand load and scoop hot water and the foot pump was really smart Now I just need to get a better pump. I also need to look into another thermometer for the HLT. One other note to self that I noticed today is lower humidity really makes a difference in the evaporation rate. South Central PA has been blessed with some absolutely stellar weather the last couple of days and it took an extra gallon out of the batch. So maybe on days like this mean and extra pint of sparge water per pound in the grain bill.

20190811_123827.jpeg

So here we are heating up the strike water and below is the rig folded up. I'll get a coat of paint and will be adding a couple of other changes to the set up as the heat from the burner is a little too hot for my liking to the control panel.

[/ATTACH] 20190811_190937.jpeg

Sorry for the shadows.

Mase, Craigerrr, thunderwagn and 4 others like this.
  7. Herm_brews

Herm_brews Member

Window glass and screen tech
    I bottled a twelve pack of my latest brew, this time adding Cascade as a dry hop to my APA.

8. Trialben

Pest control tech
    that's pretty cool yep them little brown pumps arnt bad for sure but them MK2 pumps pump alot more volume for you. Look in Good!

9. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Well-Known Member

Nice rig you built there.

10. Head First

Head First Well-Known Member

+1 on the MK2 pump. Super quiet too.
    Looks like you can recirculate your MT if you wanted to. Handy to fold up. Won't have to build an addition on the house like I did:rolleyes:

11. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Another + for the MKII pump. Got mine just about a year ago and couldn't be happier with it.

12. Hawkbox

Hawkbox Well-Known Member

How do you guys deal with pumping all the water into another vessel? I'm concerned about running the pump dry or it not pulling all of the liquid out of the source.

13. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

You start with more water than you need and shut off the pump when you reach the proper level in the receiving vessel. That way it doesn't matter if you get all of the water transferred. Of course it's different with wort.
    If you're using a multi tier system you can position your vessels in such a way that you're pumping only water and gravity feed the wort. Even with a single tier you can drain your MLT almost completely if you use a brewing bag as a filter and draw form within 1/4 to 1/8" from the bottom. When transferring into the fermenter you generally would want to leave trub behind, which would allow you to have your BK on the lowest level and pump up to the fermenter without either of your concerns coming into play.

Vesparados likes this.
  14. Hawkbox

Ah ok, that was the only way it worked in my head but I wasn't sure. I have a pump but haven't used it yet cause i can't figure out a good method.

15. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Also, be sure to install a ball valve on the outlet of the pump so you can throttle down the flow, especially if you're using the pump to transfer out of the boiler.

16. Hawkbox

That part I have handled, it's configured and ready to go, I just got hung up on the logistics of using it to transfer liquids and not running it dry.

17. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    most pumps will let you run dry, you just don't want to for very long, you can damage some parts over time but it's not going to die just because you forget, I've done it many times

18. Trialben

Pest control tech
    When I transfer using pump in just listen for the change in sound as it runs dry and then just kill the power it's only dry less then a second.

I've also found they handle a bit of air getting in the line ok too my site glass ain't air tight so when I transfer some air is sucked down from the top but the pump keeps pumping and stays primed pretty well.
    Sometime initial firing will have an airlock somewhere but that ball valve helps just close that fully then open and it should start circulation.

As you've seen their hard to break you can even fill them with water and still get em working lol :oops::rolleyes:.

19. Ward Chillington

Right on Bob! That was "a" if not "the" primary factor behind using this design over going horizonal. The pump was only relied on for 3 of the steps; getting hot water out of the BK up into the mash tun and into the HTL for sparging then as part of the cooling where I reused the tun to hold a bunch of ice water to run through the immersion cooler; everything else was gravity. Based on the fact that $hit happens with hardware, gravity seldom fails! Also, if you are just moving water, what's a little of that on your garage or deck versus nice sweet wort for the ants to go gaga over?

BOB357 likes this.
  20. Hawkbox

I like that, my current rig is pure gravity and works well enough but takes a ton of space.

BOB357 likes this.