Weird ABV change

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I am working on a modified version of https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/656007/sour-orange-creamsicle to make 2 kegs worth and so far I've increased the final volume and modified the goal ABV and I got the below as a result. I expect I can correct this after the fact but it was super weird compared to the original.

I suspect it's losing it's nut over the Lactose and the auto calc can't handle it.

upload_2018-10-3_11-37-31.png

You used the 'scale' function and got weird results? Or how did you get thousands of pounds of lactose?

Yup. I set it to scale to 6.5% ABV and the Lactose option went nuts. I removed the Lactose and rejigged it and then added the Lactose back in and it seems ok now, but I think you may want to exclude or at least account for Lactose in your calculator.

upload_2018-10-3_11-44-36.png

I also ran into a problem where after I removed the lactose I had to change to OG scaling to get it to recalculate for me.

I'm going to try to recreate this. Did you scale up the volume first, and then the OG? How exactly did you do it?

Ok so my steps were, I changed the measurements to metric, then I changed the volume to 42L in the Kettle, then I scaled up.

Ah, I got it recreated. Thank you for the report. I turned it over to the developers, with screenshots. Thanks!

Fo sho. It wasn't the end of the world but it was definitely weird.

Back