Ways to discourage spammers

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
with the ridiculous amount of spammer bots this morning, i was thinking that some sort of experience system, based on the number of posts, likes, trophies, length as member, trial vs premium, etc. might be able to stop a lot of the spam. or at least limit it to one-off instances

200 posts in a short amount of time ought to get one banned here, eh?

I'm going to change some of those settings today. I hate to be too restrictive, as we want new people who may have questions and we'd like to help them, but I think we'll limit them to something like 5 new posts and probably restrict adding links at first.

I'm going to change some of those settings today. I hate to be too restrictive, as we want new people who may have questions and we'd like to help them, but I think we'll limit them to something like 5 new posts and probably restrict adding links at first.
absolutely, i love all the new people on the forums recently. definitely want to keep that spirit alive

thanks for the quick attention!

I don't know if it is possible to do any of the following...

Limit trial members to...
1 post per 10 minutes
10 posts per day
1 new topic per day

Any or all of the above would limit pests and wouldn't effect genuine trail members. Maybe just the first 24 hours!

yeah, the more people that like your posts and the more you post "legitimate" things, the less limits you have

It's a fine line. I have found the more restrictive I get on a forum I admin on, the less the member base improves. Last thing you want to do is turn away possible members (usually). One thing to also keep in mind, there are probably more members than not that never make a single post, and yet frequent the forum 1+ times a day. I do set a minimum 1 wk time frame for outside links. I also have a setting for number of posts within a couple minute time frame.
If you make it too difficult or uninviting, folks will just stop showing up because the effort isn't worth the hassle.
Also, the more settings, restrictions, etc you put in place usually equates to more time spent by admin and mods who are usually volunteering their time. Once it becomes to much of a job, sometimes they stop showing up as well...

theres spam on every site, it just takes a day or even a couple of hours for me to delete people, when I'm not here yooper helps, I think its fine. if you want someone watching the forum every post which i have before you need to pay them and I don't get paid, I'm on holiday so you guys are on your own for a week just click report and we get an email, nobody seems to do that anymore but its all good, keep up the good work:D

And I don't think we want to restrict offers people have found that are genuinely of interest to the forum. There's an easier solution, I think: Appoint a couple more admins, and at least one of our Downunder contingent so we have coverage more hours of the day.

It is a very fine line. I wouldn't want restrictions to be off putting, as even one hurdle would annoy some. But I think there is a middle way! A few more moderators would be good and very subtle restrictions for new members too, perhaps something that takes little or no administration..

I think I have reported spamming two or three times in the last week, perhaps more members could do so too. Its not much effort.

No disrespect was meant towards the admins, we all appreciate what you do.
But when something like this happens, there's clearly a gap somewhere along the way. I was just wondering if there's a bit of automation that could be put in so that the admins don't have to monitor things 24/7
I'm definitely glad it's sparked a conversation

Mate i turn up for the beer! But i must say in all this time here in the forum still hasnt got me any free beer:p...

But it has helped me garner the knowledge to brew more consistantly better beer;).

This is probably common knowledge, but if someone want to quickly get rid of the spam-messages, mark the user/users of the messages as ignored...and the messages won't be visible.

Back