Watery Taste?

Jhogan0101

Trial Member
Reaction score
So im getting ready to bottle my first few beers from kegs. Im tasting these beers and the flavors for the most part are good but they all have a watery kind of taste/feel to them. Any suggestions as to why and how to fix?

So im getting ready to bottle my first few beers from kegs. Im tasting these beers and the flavors for the most part are good but they all have a watery kind of taste/feel to them. Any suggestions as to why and how to fix?
Drink them as is I would and just chalk it up as something to learn from. Remember next brew on this recipie increase mash temp/ add some wheat malt/crystal malr or unmalted barley use less attenuative yeast.

If your beer isn't as good as you want it, the time to fix it is next time. Whatever you're lacking is a problem with process and ingredients. Instead of trying to correct "mistakes" in a batch after the fact, just use a different approach to improve your next one.
One issue is that you don't have any experience with how beer tastes before it's carbed, It's flat, lifeless, watery, too sweet, too bitter etc, etc. Stop trying to solve problems that you don't understand yet. Drink it or dump it and move on (and you'd be a fool to dump it without taking it all the way through the process)
Brew, drink, learn, repeat. ;)

Yeah makes sense. Over the past hour i force carbonated them to the correct carbonation level on the scale (with correct hose length) the beers taste good now. Amazing how much different with
Correct carbonation, they were way under carbonated earlier.

Nervous father of their first child. You get used to it after a while. It took a while before I was comfortable just leaving it to the next batch to fix a problem. It's also a bit easier for me as I'm only a 10 litre/2.5 gallon brewer. More chance to fix things up.

My advise.... take baby steps and understand what you are doing and take plenty of notes. It seems that a lot of new brewers want to go out and jump right into beers that would be best done with a little more experience. And most importantly... RDWHAHB.

The first non-kit beer I ever brewed was my third batch and my own recipe, a Russian Imperial Stout. Six batches of it later and I'm just starting to be happy with the results. Yep, too much ambition, too much knowledge and not enough experience (and I still keep thinking that about my brewing).

The first non-kit beer I ever brewed was my third batch and my own recipe, a Russian Imperial Stout. Six batches of it later and I'm just starting to be happy with the results. Yep, too much ambition, too much knowledge and not enough experience (and I still keep thinking that about my brewing).
Wow! That is some drinking exbeerienece!

Experience will teach you to recognize the potential of the uncarbonated sample. Experience combined with the feedback you will get here is the best teacher.

Back