Water tests

Reaction score
So for the batches I have done so far, I have just used my tap water (boiled and cooled). I do not have a water softener connected, so I know my water is hard, but it is good tasting and does not have a chlorine smell at all. As I read more and more I find that water obviously can have a huge impact, but The opinions I have seen is that it is not as big a factor in extract brewing, is that true?

The second portion of my question is what test kits are people using so I can work on dialing in my water?

Since you don't have to worry about mash pH, water chemistry is not as big of a deal. It still comes into play with the flavor profile, the perception of bitterness (Sulfites), and to some extent yeast health (normally an issue only if minerals are too low, but if they are too high it might have some impact).

As for analyzing the water, your best bet may be to send it to a lab. Your local water company should be able to give you all the stats you need though.

If you're on a municipal water supply, you can get a report from the water department, just call or email and they'll be happy (normally) to send you a report. If you're on a well or other water source, testing becomes important but normally, if it smells and tastes good, you can brew with it. Do you have any evidence that water chemistry is affecting your beer like off flavors, harsh bitterness, etc?

Thanks all for the replies. I had seen that same company as well. I am on municipal water. There is no problem with my beers I am trying to solve other than making them better! ;)

Back