Water PH test before or during Mash

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere recently that you should do a PH test and treat where necessary before you introduce your grains. Anyone doing this?

I gave up on checking pH period. I start with RO water, and trust the recipe editor, and the pH prediction.

To answer your question though, I never checked the pH before introducing grains.

I read somewhere recently that you should do a PH test and treat where necessary before you introduce your grains. Anyone doing this?
Water pH doesn't matter, it's alkalinity does. If you have a water report, you can calculate the salts and acids to use with a water chemistry calculator on this site. But I'll warn you: Before you start down that rabbit hole, read the documentation on water here or get John Palmer's latest edition of "How to Brew." It's a complex topic.

I test my water supply so I can plug that number into the water chemistry calculator. Based on my grain bill I add an appropriate amount of lactic acid to get between 5.2 & 5.3. I utilize what the water calculator predicts I should add. After that goes in I give it a quick stir and then add the grains when at strike temp.

Back