Water Calculations

mavery

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I am new to the forum on the website, but have been using the water profile page for almost a year now and very useful. My question has to do with equipment. I just purchased a MoreBeer XL Tippy Dump system. And i added a 42 gallon brew kettle and there is a 30 gallon mash tun and 30 gallon HLT. The person i bought it from told me they had no problem making 1 barrel of beer on this system in 1 brew. Here is my problem, i use beersmith for my recipes, and every time i scale up a recipe to the new system, its looking like i am over my mash tun volume. For example, I have an IPA recipe that i scaled from 5 gallons to 34 gallons. In the 5 gallon version i use about 12 lbs of grains, for the 34 gallon i use over 50lbs of grain. Beersmith is saying i need atleast a 32 gallon mash tun just to get 34 gallons of wort and the abv needed to reach from the original recipe. Am i missing something as far as my calculations? Or does anyone know how they would be able to get a barrel of wort in 1 brew with this system?

post your five gallon recipe here and efficiency percentage and ill scale it up and investigate
I think beersmith thinks you have just one kettle, 30 gallon it may not realize you boil from a 42??
but at the same time I scaled one of mine up and it called for 71 lbs of grain for a 34 gallon finished batch

thanks for reaching out. I cant post the actual recipe from beer smith so i will have to manually put it in. so this recipe is for your standard 20gal cooler for a mash tun and 7 gallon brew pot:
7# Two Row
3# Flaked Oats
2# Vienna which gave me an OG of 1.063 at 6.5%abv at about 72% brewhouse efficiency

Now when i scale this up to the 30 gal mash and 42 Gallon kettle(35 gallons of wort) this is what it looks like:
49# Two Row
21# Flaked oats
14# Vienna Same og as listed above. Its telling me i need the following:

26.25 gal of mash water
32.81 gal of mash volume needed
20.73 gal of sparge water

Let me know if you need anymore infor and thanks for helping.

Can I Mash it?

If you scroll down you can mess with different mash thicknesses and it will tell you a volume estimate.

Looks like with a thick 1 qt/lb mash you could do it in one go.
I would imagine a ~5% abv recipe would be an easier one to mash.

on my system it only works if you scale to 32 gallons, 30 to be very safe but I agree 34 does not work

42 gallon pots across the board works better

UgliestLemming said:
Can I Mash it?

If you scroll down you can mess with different mash thicknesses and it will tell you a volume estimate.

Looks like with a thick 1 qt/lb mash you could do it in one go.
I would imagine a ~5% abv recipe would be an easier one to mash.

ahhh ok I will look at that when I get home tonight. and yes a 5% type beer I have no problem, but im from the northeast so I like making DIPA's and IPA's hahaha! Thanks for the info, im going to give it a try!

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
on my system it only works if you scale to 32 gallons, 30 to be very safe but I agree 34 does not work

42 gallon pots across the board works better

Yea I think that is what I am leaning towards, moving up in size for the mash and HLT. I wonder If the person I bought it from was making 1 barrel of beer but lower ABV's?? Thanks for the info

Ozarks Mountain Brew said:
For a lager it works not for any full bodied beer
I know whatcha mean. I wish I had just gone ahead and splurged on a bigger kettle, because I thought I hit the sweet spot with my 15 gal MegaPot kettle. But things get a little tight in there when I have a full-bodied beer that I'm trying to do at around 6~7+% abv and do a double batch... 11 gal, with a boil around 12 gals and it starts running out of headroom quick. Cest la vie.

Back