Water calc auto-fill

Hobbes

Trial Member
Reaction score
The recipe has a nice place for the target water profile, but no spaces/data for the salt additions/actual water porfile.

I know I can open a water calc and do the additions. I have my house water profile on record and the additions needed for various styles already calculated and saved. There is no way to save it "to" a recipe so that it's there when viewing. I can save them with recipe 'names' but those aren't referenced when viewing the recipe. This would also be much more useful if lactic/acid additions were avail that took the grain bill into account. I like to get all my brew ingredients lined up and ready togo before starting a brew day.

I often just put the amounts of elements added into comments; when it would probably be better to display "target profile", "source profile", "additions" and then the actual water profile used. Often the target and actual profile are slightly different.

Also, bonus request... trying to calc the water items I often use other software to get a best guess ... the water calc does a good job of displaying the additions but it can't guess additions to get me to the target by itself.

You can incorporate your recipie grist into water calculator by loading it through the recipie in the water calc section.

Then you can do your salt additions and tgen set desired ph level in acid addition section and it will tell you amount of acid needed to adjust mash to required ph level. Hope that makes sence.

You can incorporate your recipie grist into water calculator by loading it through the recipie in the water calc section.

Then you can do your salt additions and tgen set desired ph level in acid addition section and it will tell you amount of acid needed to adjust mash to required ph level. Hope that makes sence.

It does, and that's actually what I ended up doing on brew day. The adv calc is pretty nice with the exception of being able to suggest salt additions to meet the target profile. However; i'm just making the comment that it would be nice for this to be automatic and not have to leave the recipe page. For example, when I view the recipe I should be able to set the target profile, and my source profile, and have salt/acid additions right there without leaving to another calculator page. Displaying the additions would also be nice, because i'm writing these down on the printed out recipe with pencil as of now. Currently i'm printing a hardcopy and taking it with me on brew day so i can write down with pencil the salt additions, ph measurements, and some other things the brew log won't keep track.

Storing what salts I added right into the recipe would be great

There's also no spot to log a pH measurement, but that's probably another suggestion for another day.

@Hobbes
Yes im picking up what your putting down mineral addtion suggestions to meet set desired water profile would be tops. An actual ph outcome option would be cool to i just write this in the brew log coments section once mash gravity reading is completed. I input my calculated salt addtions from adv water calc on recipe additional comments secrion.

All i can say is your not the first to raise these ideas...

Ive asked for this before and its on my list to be added so +1 on adding water calculations into the recipe your working on

Back