Water Amount Contradictions

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a question regarding the Water Amounts calculated by this site. I am a premium member.
When I look at my recipe print out under Mash Guidlines it tells me
9.1L Strike
7.2L Sparge
Total: 16.3L

Then on same printout under Quick Water Requirements it says
9.8L Strike
10.8 Sparge
Total: 20.6

And to make it even more confusing my app in recipe water view says
9.8L Strike
10.1L Sparge
Total: 19.9L

just to confirm this is a small batch with a target fermenter volume of 11L.
Which do I go by. Many thanks

So, I'm getting really confused now as the water requirements seem to keep changing.

From my Edit Recipe

upload_2022-1-6_18-46-41.png

Then here's from the Print Recipe

upload_2022-1-6_18-47-45.png

And here is from the Brew Session

upload_2022-1-6_18-49-18.png

And here is from the Brew Steps

upload_2022-1-6_18-50-35.png

So the Recipe View and Brew steps match with 16.3L total. The Print Recipe shows Total Mash 20.6L but then Total as 18.6L. The Brew Session Water Requirements shows 18.6L.

So my questions are, which one do I use? Is this a bug? Shall I just go with the Recipe and Brew Step?

I hope this post makes my question clearer.

Many thanks :)

Thanks for not replying.

It seems the water requirements has a bug. I shall just calculate the total by hand using the target amount and water loss values. Would be nice if the software did this tho

You’re probably not getting a reply from the brass because you posted this in the wrong forum. This question should have been in the Recipe Editor section.

Hopefully,
@Yooper
@Pricelessbrewing
will be along in short order.

Good luck.

@Evil_Mouse_Brewery @Megary thanks for the ping!There's lots of room for improvement in the water requirements, to be sure.

It is our current main project for the recipe builder, you can see the current improvements on beta.brewersfriend.com if you're interested to see how what has been changed.

Additionally there's some confusion on what each section is, and what it's purpose is.

The QWR is there to be a guideline, and an estimated starting point. It does not, at this time, pull in your mash guideline steps. It uses your batch size, and the mash thickness from mash guidelines (or default from user settings), and your equipment profile to determine how much water should be needed to hit your target batch size and working backwards from there. If the pre and post don't match your equipment, it will (in the beta update coming soon) will throw the "equipment estimate" warnings.

The Mash Guidelines are user inputs, so you have full control over what goes in there. If you're using the software estimates from QWR via "add qwr" then they should match the basic estimates. There's still some discrepencies in your recipe in mash guidelines, as the mash thickness doesn't line up with the strike amount (3.6 L/kg should be 7.87L not 9.1L, at some point the ingredient amounts changed, or the strike amount was increased. In a future update these two variables will stay connected regardless of other changes to the recipe).

The below screenshots are from your account for the same recipe.

upload_2022-1-9_8-37-3.png
upload_2022-1-9_8-37-46.png

Lastly I would review the postboil volume, it is significantly larger than the equipment profile and batch size would suggest. You can see here on beta it notates this in the QWR "Post boil volume (equipment estimates 12.9 L). Alternatively, you can click the "calc" button next to the pre/postboil volumes at the top of the recipe builder.

@Evil_Mouse_Brewery
If your equipment profile is correct, this is what I would suggest making corrections to.

Click Calc button to correct the pre/post boil volumes.
upload_2022-1-9_8-45-33.png

If you want to stick to 3.6 L/kg, then update the strike volume and move the remaining water needed to hit your preboil target to the sparge step.
upload_2022-1-9_8-46-27.png

And now it all lines up with the QWR.
upload_2022-1-9_8-46-45.png

Ah excellent thank you. Yes I was getting confused with it I think. Those beta shots looks like they will help a lot.

I’ve been going through it some more and I think I’m starting to get it. The fact you said the mash guidelines are not connected makes sense as to why they were not matching up so I need to keep an eye on this.

thank you for updating me and I look forward to the update.

Back