water adjustment

Michael Reilly

Trial Member
Reaction score
hello all,,, I have been brewing for about a year . I started with extract and now using all grain and reading a lot , I'm going to brew my first Pilsner ( larger) and my first brew that i will be adjusting my water.
The water calculator is showing in red red CA 21.0,the SO in red 14.0 and HCO in red -24.8 .I added 1.75 ml of Latic acid and it brought the PH to 5.4 witch is good along with all that other parameters .Can anyone help me to adjust the calcium ,sodium and HOC in me water Than you

Simple answer: Don't worry about it too much. First, don't add bicarbonate and acid - they neutralize (I had a rare situation this weekend where I had to add both to get the calcium levels to where I needed it to be. You are correct in adjusting the mash pH to 5.4 - for a Pilsner I'd go a bit lower to 5.3 or even 5.2. Sodium - it's strictly for flavor and not necessary. Your CA and SO4 levels are so low they won't affect the beer's flavor so, personal opinion, brew it and see if you like the results.

Thank you , I was going to lower the PH to 5.3 but wanted to wait to see if other adjustments might change it . Thanks for the tips,, I’m ready to brew. To all have a safe and happy thanksgiving,,

I speculate those ion levels are red because they aren't just right for the style, but as @Nosybear wrote, they are pretty low and shouldn't affect taste all that much.
Read up on yeast for lagers: I used 3 packages in 4 gallons and it was WAY UNDERpitched, so... It's not an ale is all.

I speculate those ion levels are red because they aren't just right for the style, but as @Nosybear wrote, they are pretty low and shouldn't affect taste all that much.
Read up on yeast for lagers: I used 3 packages in 4 gallons and it was WAY UNDERpitched, so... It's not an ale is all.
3 packages in 4 gallons should be enough. Remember, you're using fresh yeast, much more viable than slurry.

Back