Vorlauf malt additions

MarylandBrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this should go on the recipes forum, but anyway...

I follow Gordon Strong's assertion to add dark grains in the vorlauf because they don't do much in the mash anyway. I find that it works well for my brews. However, when formulating my recipes on BF, there is no place to enter malts that you're not putting into the mash, unless it's in the Other Ingredients area. Would be great to be able to designate on the malts additions that the grains are added later in the mash. Anyone have a decent workaround?

thanks,

AP

I wouldn't say that dark malts do nothing, they do help lower the mash pH. That said you might just leave them in recipe as is and make a note too add those malts at vorlauf.

I follow Gordon's process with most dark grains and add them at sparge. It changes the mash chemistry but it does reduce some harshness.

If you add at sparge time, with the liquid temp higher than mash temp, don't you have the same issue with bitterness?

No. Contact time is much less. Time is one of the variables in extracting bitterness, as are temperature and pH. Keep the pH low, the temperature at or below about 170 degrees F and the time down and the astringency and grainy flavors don't extract. Also, I don't try to bring the temperature up to 170 degrees, I just use 170 degree water and really don't care where my temperature ends up.

Back