Vinegars

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by BOB357, Mar 13, 2018.

1. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

Anybody else making their own vinegars? I got started making organic apple cider vinegar(ACV) after seeing the price of the Bragg's ACV my wife was using ($4 to $6/qt.). She drinks it mixed into a glass of water before meals and also rinses her hair with it.

For my first batch I used some Lalvin Champaign yeast to ferment 1/2 gal. of organic apple juice and then mixed in 1/4 cup of the dregs from Bragg's which has the mother in it. After a few weeks I had ACV that my wife said was so like Bragg's that she couldn't tell the difference. As a bonus, I also had a SCOBY. Went through the process again, this time just dumping the fermented cider onto the SCOBY instead of adding some of the Bragg's. After repeating this a few times I ended up with 4 SCOBYs in the one gallon jug I used as a fermenter. It wasn't easy getting them out through the narrow neck. Now I use a wide mouth 1 gallon jar.

I found a half bottle of red wine that had been sitting in the liquor cabinet for a few weeks. Since I had an extra SCOBY, decided to dump the wine on it, so now doing wine vinegars as well.

Trialben and Mase like this.
  2. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    i thought vinegar took longer to make like a year or more well.thanks for the insight.

3. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

It does take a long time if you rely on the SCOBY(culture) to do everything. Fermenting before putting it on the SCOBY shortens the time considerably. Swirling often for oxygen contact also helps. Dry cider takes me 6 to 8 weeks..

Trialben likes this.
  4. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    yeah ive made a vinigary cider before but not on purpose:).

thunderwagn, Mase and BOB357 like this.
  5. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

I haven't managed to make an accidental batch yet. Hope the acetobacter gods aren't listening:)

Trialben likes this.
  6. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in giving this a whirl. I ferment vegetables periodically, usually make my own kraut, beets, etc.
    I use Bragg's every single day, and while my daughter is the main wine consumer in the house, we don't go through it fast enough.

BOB357 likes this.
  7. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Do you ever make kimchi?

8. Mase

Mase Well-Known Member

Next on my list

9. BOB357

BOB357 Well-Known Member

There's really no time investment once you have fermented the cider, just waiting time for ACV. As for the wine, I'm still waiting to see how long it takes. Either way, once you have a SCOBY it's just a matter of pouring the wine or cider on the SCOBY, covering with a fine cloth and giving it a swirl once in awhile.

BTW, I no longer use organic juice for my ACV, as to my understanding, the culture is what produces the probiotics. I'm not a real believer in any vast quality difference in most things organic.

I still need to start fermenting vegetables. My mom made some kraut to die for. Her pickled beets were great too, but not fermented.

Trialben likes this.
  10. thunderwagn

thunderwagn Well-Known Member

I haven't. Not really sure why.

I like to make my kraut with purple cabbage. It may be a color thing, but the juice seems to have a thicker consistency that I like. I usually use red pepper flakes also for a bit of a kick.

jeffpn and Mase like this.