Using yeast from primary as yeast for a new batch?

n8ozzy

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I am a complete noob here. I have a 5.5 gal batch of a simple IPA in primary fermentation, started on 9/27 and had so much fun that I went ahead and brewed another 5.5 gal batch of a simple Blonde ale on 9/29. Only problem is that when I went to pitch yeast for the blonde, I realized I forgot to buy it :eek:. Brew supply near me is not open till Wednesday and I have no way of getting yeast. Can I add some liquid/foam from my IPA that is fermenting? What would be the best procedure for this? I know it will not be the yeast that the recipe calls for but I have no way of getting yeast. Or I could just wait till Wednesday to pitch yeast. Thoughts? Thanks.

Yes, harvesting Krausen (foam) will work. Your first beer should have an abundance about now. Don't be afraid to harvest a bunch. Be sure to use a sanitized spoon to scoop it up.

I think I'd seal it up good and wait, how much yeast did you pitch the ipa with? Is it in good active fermentation? I'm certain that someone who knows more than me will have some insight into this.

And they did before I even finished typing...

Yes, harvesting Krausen (foam) will work. Your first beer should have an abundance about now. Don't be afraid to harvest a bunch. Be sure to use a sanitized spoon to scoop it up.
Thank you for the quick reply! Will go do that right now and yes fermentation is going very well.

As long as you practice good sanitation, and chilled fairly quickly, I think it would be (have been) fine to just seal it up and wait until Wednesday. Even better if you cold-crashed it. If you do/did a cold-crash, and you use liquid yeast, be sure to allow the wort and yeast to equalize temperatures before pitching.

Back