US to Metric Water Calculation Problem

AnokaBrewer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I started my brew and noticed my water calculations were way off. I switched to Metric and everything worked out OK. It looks like everything changes, except for the starting mash thickness. When I am on US units of 1.5 quarts per pound, the conversion will change to 3L/KG when I switch all my recipe to Metric. When I switch back, the 3L/KG goes to 3 Qt/Pound rather than 1.5 Qt/Pound which throws off the calculations. My grain and hop weight convert back just fine.

The reason I am switching is my water volume markings in my RoboBrew are marked in gallons and liters. It is more accurate for me to use the liter markings as there are not quart markings, just gallons. I live in the US so all of my purchases use US measurements. If I could input water volume in metric and my grains in pounds and hops in ounces, that would be ideal, but I do not see that as a possibility. I seem to be able to input my fermentables and hops in using US or Metric units based on the dropdown, but I am forced to choose one or the other for water measurements.

The Conversion Factor does need to get fixed though when switching from Metric back to US. It looks like in the Beta (beta.brewersfriend.com), it will go back to 1.44 qts per gallon rather than staying at 3, which is a step in the right direction.

I started my brew and noticed my water calculations were way off. I switched to Metric and everything worked out OK. It looks like everything changes, except for the starting mash thickness. When I am on US units of 1.5 quarts per pound, the conversion will change to 3L/KG when I switch all my recipe to Metric. When I switch back, the 3L/KG goes to 3 Qt/Pound rather than 1.5 Qt/Pound which throws off the calculations. My grain and hop weight convert back just fine.

The reason I am switching is my water volume markings in my RoboBrew are marked in gallons and liters. It is more accurate for me to use the liter markings as there are not quart markings, just gallons. I live in the US so all of my purchases use US measurements. If I could input water volume in metric and my grains in pounds and hops in ounces, that would be ideal, but I do not see that as a possibility. I seem to be able to input my fermentables and hops in using US or Metric units based on the dropdown, but I am forced to choose one or the other for water measurements.

The Conversion Factor does need to get fixed though when switching from Metric back to US. It looks like in the Beta (beta.brewersfriend.com), it will go back to 1.44 qts per gallon rather than staying at 3, which is a step in the right direction.
That pending update on Beta will be released very soon, which will resolve this.

Back