Unsure about alcohol level

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by Brewer #245738, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Brewer #245738

Brewer #245738 New Member

I'm just finishing my third home brew using a part grain recipe. Ive taken an OG hydrometer reading before fermentation and also took a reading before secondery fermentation which im doing in a barrel. Using the calculator i have a result of 3.6% abv.
    Will the secondary fermentation (for which i added sugar to the barrel) create any more alcohol and is the FG (final gravity?) taken after secondary fermentation?

2. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    Yes adding any more sugar at any stage after yeast is pitched with change ABV usually the priming sugar solution adds about .5% ~ onto the beer. Final gravity is just that the final gravity reading before packaging.

Brewer #245738 likes this.
  3. Vallka

Vallka Well-Known Member

Yeah just let it for a minute and see what your last gravity reading is, Can't really go wrong now, and it is fermenting so that's good :)

4. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Adding sugar completely changes the "original" gravity of the beer. What was the OG reading and the volume, what was the gravity reading after primary, how long was it in primary fermentation and what was the amount of sugar you added to the barrel? From those data points you can predict what your final gravity will likely be and what your alcohol will be.