Understanding Brew Language

AndrewO

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm very new to the Homebrewing process and as a result, I am not very familiar with the terms used.
I got a recipe dataset from a website called Kaggle and it contained which were scraped from this website.
Here are the values that were captured:
  • OG (Original Gravity)
  • FG (Final Gravity)
  • ABV (Alcohol By Volume)
  • IBU (International Bitter Unit)
  • Color
  • BoilSize
  • BoilTime
  • BoilGravity
  • Efficiency
  • MashThickness
  • SugarScale
  • BrewMethod
  • PitchRate
  • PrimaryTemp
  • PrimingMethod
  • PrimingAmount

What I would like like to know is, which of the fields, refer to how the beer was made and which of the fields describe the beer itself.

I appreciate any help I can get with this.

Hi guys!

I'm very new to the Homebrewing process and as a result, I am not very familiar with the terms used.
I got a recipe dataset from a website called Kaggle and it contained which were scraped from this website.
  • OG (Original Gravity)
  • FG (Final Gravity)
  • Color
  • BoilSize
  • BoilTime
  • BoilGravity
  • Efficiency
  • MashThickness
  • SugarScale
  • BrewMethod
  • PitchRate
  • PrimaryTemp
  • PrimingMethod
  • PrimingAmount

What I would like like to know is, which of the fields, refer to how the beer was made and which of the fields describe the beer itself.

most if not all are how it was made except color that would be final product IBU would be both as how much bitterness you added and how much bitterness you percieved. and probably ABV is both as above your desired ABV and resulting ABV taking into account another word which aint in your list (Attenuation) that was a big one for me to wrap my head around when starting out. its how much sugar the yeast ate through whilst fermenting your beer. another one yeast related is floculation thats how well your yeast settle out once done fermenting. high flock yeast like english ale american ale ect low flock like wheat beer yeasts saison yeast.

any other words fire away.
keep on brewing i say;) you learn as you go and your best lessons are your mistakes like my recent one leaving my bloody tap open on fermentor on transfer AGAIN!:mad::D

most if not all are how it was made except color that would be final product IBU would be both as how much bitterness you added and how much bitterness you percieved. and probably ABV is both as above your desired ABV and resulting ABV taking into account another word which aint in your list (Attenuation) that was a big one for me to wrap my head around when starting out. its how much sugar the yeast ate through whilst fermenting your beer. another one yeast related is floculation thats how well your yeast settle out once done fermenting. high flock yeast like english ale american ale ect low flock like wheat beer yeasts saison yeast.

any other words fire away.
keep on brewing i say;) you learn as you go and your best lessons are your mistakes like my recent one leaving my bloody tap open on fermentor on transfer AGAIN!:mad::D

Thanks Tribalben. Your response was quite helpful.
What do the following variables refer to?
  • FG (Final Gravity)
  • Boil Size
  • Boil Time
  • Boil Gravity
I asked about these four because they seem to describe things that happen toward the end of the brewing process.

Gravity is the the density of the beer/wort, boil gravity before the boil and final gravity is the ending gravity when the beer is The Beer, after fermentation. Boil size is the volume at start of the boil and boil time... well, pretty self explanatory :)

A good place to learn is John Palmers book How to Brew. If you Google it the first edition is online and readable free. It has all the definitions and much more great info.

Hi guys!

• OG (Original Gravity)
  • FG (Final Gravity)
  • Color
  • BoilSize
  • BoilTime
  • BoilGravity
  • Efficiency
  • MashThickness
  • SugarScale
  • BrewMethod
  • PitchRate
  • PrimaryTemp
  • PrimingMethod
  • PrimingAmount

Hey Andrew, I've been brewing for about a year now and with a bit of time all these terms will make perfect sence to you, by the time you hit batch 3-5 you will have most of it down. Here is a site that explains most of what you are looking for. Happy Brewing.
https://www.craftbeer.com/beer/beer-glossary

Back