Two batches of wort in one fermenter

Noricum

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I have recently assembled all grain system out of two 100l (26.4 gallons) pots. The most I expect to gain out of the system is 72l (19 gallons) of blonde ale. I just managed to get 65l (17.2 gallons) of Pale Ale few days ago.
My next project is fermenter. I have designed it to hold 130l (34 gallons) of malt. before I make it some more time will pass, but I am already thinking how to fill it up.
I know I will have to make 2 worts to fill it up. The question is:
1.) Produce 2 worts in same day (or in two days over weekend), areate, pitch yeast
or
2.) Produce one wort, areate it and pitch yeast, than add another wort next day in scattered spray into already fermenting wort?

I am interested in your opinion.

I've done both (though on a smaller scale) and they've both worked. Only change I made was to pitch enough yeast for the final volme in the first batch. I preferred the next day approach, a bit more relaxed.

Holy $h1&! That’s a lot of beer!

You can pitch enough yeast for one batch, brew the next day and add the second batch of aerated wort to the fermenter. That’s assuming the first batch took off by then. This practice is done by breweries with fermenters large enough to accept multiple “turns” or batches from the mash tun.

Back