Total Newbie!!!

YaleH

Premium Member
Reaction score
To home brewing, but not craft beer sampling.... :D I have order a Northern Brewer kit and anxiously awaiting it's arrival. It seems to be delayed do to this COVID-19 situation and it seems there will be a lot more home brewers coming aboard because of the stay at home recommendations. LOL I actually came upon this idea as a by product of the COVID-19 problem. I originally was looking at distilling my own alcohol for sanitizers but here in Florida even just having possession of still items is a felony, let alone using them.... and being that I'm a Law Enforcement Officer I thought it's best to not do. o_O Anyway, while surfing the net for stills I came across brewing beer at home and since I like craft beer I felt it was a match made in heaven. That and the fact that I will be retiring in less than a year I figured it would be a great hobby to keep me busy!!! :cool: So that's my story and I look forward to learning a lot here.

To home brewing, but not craft beer sampling.... :D I have order a Northern Brewer kit and anxiously awaiting it's arrival. It seems to be delayed do to this COVID-19 situation and it seems there will be a lot more home brewers coming aboard because of the stay at home recommendations. LOL I actually came upon this idea as a by product of the COVID-19 problem. I originally was looking at distilling my own alcohol for sanitizers but here in Florida even just having possession of still items is a felony, let alone using them.... and being that I'm a Law Enforcement Officer I thought it's best to not do. o_O Anyway, while surfing the net for stills I came across brewing beer at home and since I like craft beer I felt it was a match made in heaven. That and the fact that I will be retiring in less than a year I figured it would be a great hobby to keep me busy!!! :cool: So that's my story and I look forward to learning a lot here.
Cheers what a great journey to begin!
I hope you enjoy your new hobby.
A good online read how to brew by John Palmer will answer a few questions for you before your brew gear turns up.

Welcome.
You'll find the folks here will be very patient with questions you may have.
Brewers Friend is a great resource and community.
Cheers,
Brian

Welcome aboard! What types of beer do you think you'll start brewing first? Or brewing most?

Cheers! You picked the right hobby. It sure beats golf.
Even if you duck-hook a batch of beer, you still end up with beer. :)

Welcome aboard! What types of beer do you think you'll start brewing first? Or brewing most?
Thanks..... I'm starting with Extract type. Which is what's coming in kit and from what I've seen and read the easiest to brew. I really like bourbon barrel and chocolate stouts so will probably do a lot of those!!

Thanks..... I'm starting with Extract type. Which is what's coming in kit and from what I've seen and read the easiest to brew. I really like bourbon barrel and chocolate stouts so will probably do a lot of those!!
Cool! Be sure to peak around the site for recipes that match what you are looking for! I have a chocolate stout recipe that I brewed once and my brother and I drank before we could even share with friends! Save the barrel age stuff for once you have recipe you've brewed a couple times pretty consistantly!
Extract beers make beer - good beer ven - award winning beer even! So don't sweat it if you stick to thoe for the rest of your brewing "career"! :)

Back