Too many CO2 units for a regular bottle?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by vthokiedsp, Jan 14, 2018.

1. vthokiedsp

vthokiedsp Member

Brewed a hefeweizen and bottled it last night. Targeted the middle of the German wheat beer range on the Brewersfriend calculator for 3.9. I used regular bottles and caps.

How in danger am I for bottle bombs? Seems to be a lot of varying information out there. It didn't even occur to me that that range my require a special bottle.

As a comment, I'd suggest to Brewersfriend to provide an asterisk on the calculator when the result goes above a certain threshold that advises for use of a different bottle.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Hefeweizens are routinely bottled in standard bottles. I think you'll be fine if you went to the middle of the range. The only bottle bombs I've had were beers that weren't finished fermenting or were infected with a Brett. Gushers and geysers on the ones that didn't explode. If it's going to be a drinkable beer, it almost certainly won't bomb on you. ;)

3. vthokiedsp

vthokiedsp Member

Thanks JA. I'm gonna test them daily (or maybe every other) to see how things develop. Truth be told, I'd probably test everyday regardless bc it's friggin delicious.

Trialben, Head First and J A like this.
  4. vthokiedsp

vthokiedsp Member

One week in bottles. No bottle bombs, gushers or geysers. Just delicious hefeweizen. Another few days and they will be perfect.