Too many CO2 units for a regular bottle?

vthokiedsp

Trial Member
Reaction score
Brewed a hefeweizen and bottled it last night. Targeted the middle of the German wheat beer range on the Brewersfriend calculator for 3.9. I used regular bottles and caps.

How in danger am I for bottle bombs? Seems to be a lot of varying information out there. It didn't even occur to me that that range my require a special bottle.

As a comment, I'd suggest to Brewersfriend to provide an asterisk on the calculator when the result goes above a certain threshold that advises for use of a different bottle.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hefeweizens are routinely bottled in standard bottles. I think you'll be fine if you went to the middle of the range. The only bottle bombs I've had were beers that weren't finished fermenting or were infected with a Brett. Gushers and geysers on the ones that didn't explode. If it's going to be a drinkable beer, it almost certainly won't bomb on you. ;)

Hefeweizens are routinely bottled in standard bottles. I think you'll be fine if you went to the middle of the range. The only bottle bombs I've had were beers that weren't finished fermenting or were infected with a Brett. Gushers and geysers on the ones that didn't explode. If it's going to be a drinkable beer, it almost certainly won't bomb on you. ;)

Thanks JA. I'm gonna test them daily (or maybe every other) to see how things develop. Truth be told, I'd probably test everyday regardless bc it's friggin delicious.

Back