Toasted Flaked Wheat in an IPA?

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So, I've got about 3-4 lbs of flaked wheat laying around and some columbus and amarillo hops. I'd really like to clear these out of my inventory since I've had them for awhile.
Since I haven't brewed an IPA in a bit, I thought of maybe brewing that. I'd also like to try toasting the wheat first.
Yet a further, self-imposed constraint is that I'd like to limit the cost of additional ingredients, so I'm looking to keep the grist simple and not have any additional hops.

does a toasted wheat citrus IPA sound good? or should I leave the wheat for another batch?
any thoughts?

as always, much obliged everyone

I recently did a 50-50 wheat/Belgian pils with lots of homegrown centennial for bittering and cascade for aroma(called it a white belgian IPA). It was tasty with trappist high grav yeast. The toasted wheat could work. What other base malts are on hand? 2row mashed 150ish should work ok.

Nothing else on hand, but the lhbs is pretty stocked. 2 and 6 row, maris otter, pearl, etc

Can't recall if I've ever used pils malt yet, so that might be a good option.

And I haven't even begun to think on the yeast side of things

be careful toasting anything let alone flakes, the manufactures do this for a very long time at low temperatures, we on the other hand get impatient and want it now, then the taste goes to slightly burnt very easy and that flavor takes over the beer

Roger that.
I was looking around a bit, and I'm thinking of 300 degrees and check it every 15-20 mins and move them around as needed.
I do have a bit of it on hand, so I could always do a little at a time to get a feel for it

Oh yeah, experimentation is the spice of brewing... Let 'er rip, and let us know how it turns out. Sounds like something I would try. I purposefully never brew the exact same recipe. I feel like, even if I do revisit an old recipe, I'm still gonna change something about it. Brewing the same stuff over and over just feels like defeating the whole purpose of homebrewing.

I used to think I wanted to work in a brewery. I have volunteered at a local brewery for a couple of years now, and I have to say, I would find it utterly boring, brewing the same recipes from a set of sheets, measuring the same grains out, day after day, throwing in the same old hops. Glad I'm just volunteering. :)

I'm going the other way. I've brewed quite heavily since January, mostly different brews. There's one or two recipes I've brewed more than once since then. I've decided I'm going to cut it down to about 3 or 4 different recipes that I'll mostly brew. Those recipes will not change. I figure that since I tended to buy only one beer to drink (Yuengling), there's nothing wrong with brewing a limited number of recipes. I figure I'll find something I really like, and always have it on hand.

jmcnamara said:
Roger that.
I was looking around a bit, and I'm thinking of 300 degrees and check it every 15-20 mins and move them around as needed.
I do have a bit of it on hand, so I could always do a little at a time to get a feel for it

That may be a bit high. I toast 2 row whole @ 275° for a total of 30 minutes, stirring half way through and get a nice toasted character from that.
The flaked products will toast up quicker and be more susceptible to getting over done.
You're the chef and it's your kitchen so go for it.
I'm sure you'll make beer! :mrgreen:
Brian

My oven must be a little weak then. After about 30 mins at 275, they weren't quite where I wanted them, so I bumped it up to 300 for another 10. I stirred everything around every 10 mins

Theyre a bit browner now, but nothing burnt.

Tasting side by side, the untoasted reminds me of breakfast yogurt. The toasted makes me think of a nutty pie crust

2nd batch is in now!

the only thing thats odd to me is so much red x, its the same as munich or aromatic malt in flavors so its interesting for sure, not sure what the hops will do for this its going to be a strong flavored beer, good thing the wheat is there to take the flavor another direction

Fair enough. I was building the recipe, and adjusting the style to fit what I was doing, and a red ipa was pretty close. I've never usedone that malt before, so I figured what the heck
I can definitely rein the hops back, I'm just trying to get rid of what I have.

These new styles are pretty weird to go through.

Nothings bought yet, so any ideas are welcome

jeffpn said:
I'm going the other way. I've brewed quite heavily since January, mostly different brews. There's one or two recipes I've brewed more than once since then. I've decided I'm going to cut it down to about 3 or 4 different recipes that I'll mostly brew. Those recipes will not change. I figure that since I tended to buy only one beer to drink (Yuengling), there's nothing wrong with brewing a limited number of recipes. I figure I'll find something I really like, and always have it on hand.

Ditto. I used to be in the "try everything" camp. Now I'm zeroing in on a few recipes I really like and brewing them more frequently. There's still room for experimentation - I actually like the idea of toasted wheat IPA - but the fridge and shelves will be, more and more, stocked with those beers I really like. Now, since Doc tells me Nosybear is a little to close to hibernation weight than fighting weight, I'll be looking for some good low-alcohol beer recipes....

Nosybear said:
jeffpn said:

Ditto. I used to be in the "try everything" camp. Now I'm zeroing in on a few recipes I really like and brewing them more frequently. There's still room for experimentation - I actually like the idea of toasted wheat IPA - but the fridge and shelves will be, more and more, stocked with those beers I really like. Now, since Doc tells me Nosybear is a little to close to hibernation weight than fighting weight, I'll be looking for some good low-alcohol beer recipes....

Don't worry, I'll wake you up in the spring.

That, sir, would scare the hell out of me.

Back