To Brett Or Not To Brett?

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by Brewer #367163, Nov 25, 2021 at 3:36 PM.

1. Nokando

Nokando New Member

Greetings brewers,

My first post on here, it's nice to make your acquaintance.

I'm brewing what I intended to be a Brett Saison - my first experiment with Brett.

The Saison base has been fermenting superbly for 9 days strong, from an OG of 1061 to it's current SG of 1005. I used Omega Saisonstein which lives up to it's reputation. I have to say it's dry, balanced and delicious already. My question is do I go ahead and leave it on Brett for a few months as planned, or just bottle it once primary fermentation has finished? I'd just like to know what your experience of adding Brett to an already dry saison is, and whether it will still add to the complexity and quality of the finished beer.

Cheers!

2. Bubba Wade

Bubba Wade Well-Known Member

Retired Engineer
    Home Page:
    I would just go from primary to bottle. I don’t think addition of Brett will change the character much. However, I would be inclined to leave it in the primary a few more days. This yeast strain may go as low as 1.000-1.002 on its own. This will help avoid potential bottle bombs.

Nokando likes this.
  3. Minbari

Minbari Well-Known Member

fuel hauler
    Unless you dedicate a fermenter to it, not contaminating equipment for 1 batch.

Nokando likes this.
  4. Donoroto

Donoroto Well-Known Member

Retired Engineer
    Brett, once used, requires that the equipment be sterilized, unless you expect brett in every batch thereafter. StarSan is not enough. Iodophor is effective.

From 1.005 you don't have a lot of room for adding character.

One possibility would be to take off some and add brett to this smaller amount - perhaps you have a smaller fermenter? Then you can see exactly what brett can do for you!

Nokando likes this.
  5. Dornbox

Dornbox Member

I concur with @Donoroto about your FG and brettanomyces. I’m not sure if mashing at a much higher temp (say 158°f) would raise your FG much with those super attenuating strains. Unless you have some dextrose for the Brett to chew on, you’re not gonna get much character out of it.

I use to make quads that never fermented out super dry that Brettanomyces worked well with. But a saison by nature is dry which makes the style a tough match unless you can get the FG up. That said, I think my best brett beers weren’t crazy funk bombs so you never know. Put some in a growler with a brett tainted wood chip or cube and see what it does.

Donoroto and Nokando like this.
  6. Nokando

Nokando New Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to split the brew leaving a gallon on the Brett in a demijohn, see what happens :)

Dornbox likes this.
  7. Nokando

Nokando New Member

#7 Nokando, Nov 28, 2021 at 2:15 PM
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021 at 2:22 PM
    Footnote:
    Saison FG = 0.997. Never had a yeast attenuate like that before! Target ABV was 6.5%, has ended up 8.4%!

8. Dornbox

Dornbox Member

@Nokando Not sure which strain you used but that’s typical for many of the saison strains especially the French versions. They’re monsters!