Tis the season, fa la la la lah. la la la laaaahhh

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is Oktober over yet??? Post your Christmas recipes! i'm not even of the faith, and i'm stoked to get festive to have some beers ready the week and two before the holliday.

Christmas Ale 1:
75% German Pale malt
10% Special B
10% Munich Light
5% Chocolate malt
toss in some Pilsen DME to bump the gravity
toss in some ounces of Lactose

100% Mandarina Bavaria hops, (if they're available) at 20 min and flameout

Fermented with German Ale 1007, and then secondary with Oak Chips for a few weeks.

Thoughts?

Also, been working on a Butterbeer recipe after reading through some forums.

45% Maris Otter (or UK 2-row)
45% UK Wheat malt
10% honey malt
toss in some lactose for creaminess
toss in Brown Sugar for some gravity

100% Kent Goldings used at 60, 20, and 5.
Nutmeg, crushed, boiled at 10
Clove, whole, boiled at 5

Fermented with Scottish Ale, and bottled with some Vanilla Extract, plus Butterscotch FLAVORING, i've heard bad things about Butterscotch Extract, and i'm now wary about using Butterscotch Extract to flavor this with.

Thoughts????

You brewed any of these two Oliver that's some full on brews mate there is a lot going on in them just wondering if tried and tested brews. Hay both these two brews I've got no experience with but sure would love to tast test em for sure :p.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself with 8 oz of Chinook... clocking in over 300 IBUs? Sounds gnar.
Surprisingly it works with the 2# chocolate, 1# black-malt. The C-120 kinda:confused:blends it together.
This is a recipe that was made back in the 90's by a home brewer at that time and he gave me the recipe last year. I do think it is more hops than needed as from what I understand we can't tell much over 120 IBU's. Some people compare it to motor oilo_O
Not sure about the yeast though. Usually use Scottish strong ale or 1056. The Sasion might eat to much.
Here's a pic of his rig.

Attachments

• scott's brewery.jpg
    scott's brewery.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 151
Do you have good experience using Chinook as a single hop?? We tried it in a hoppy scottish ale, and we didn't like the beer. Couldn't tell what exactly it was, but i'm guessing it was either Chinook or the C80 and roasted barley we used.

This recipe was the first time I used chinook. It went well with all the strong flavors. Would probably kick up a IPA with some different bitter maybe. I agree it wouldn't go with to much carmel as in a scotch.

Back