Tips for purchasing a self-cooled fermenter

Those don't cool, only heat.

Really two options for cooling a fermenter. Put it in a temp controlled freezer, with something like an inkbird controlling it. Or use a glycol chiller setup.

The controller with that kit will control both the (included) heater wrap and a fridge or freezer. Maybe look for a cheap used fridge that will fit a fermenter.

Glycol systems can be costly.

If it is cold where you are, maybe only heat is needed?

temperature in winter varies between 10 to 16 C, and in summer between 18 to 28 C, it is better to buy a fridge or freezer

temperature in winter varies between 10 to 16 C, and in summer between 18 to 28 C, it is better to buy a fridge or freezer
Freezer, they have more cooling capacity. Can be a stand up or chest style

There's a few pros and cons, most depend on the cost of the fridge or freezer and the space you've got.

Freezer, most cooling space for the cost, but really only one temp for anything in the freezer.

Two smaller fridges will probably cost more, but will give you two different temperatures if you have two brews fermenting at the same time that need different temperatures.

Glycol cooling gives great flexibility, but will be a significant increase in cost. Not just the glycol system, but your fermenters need to be able to make use of it. There's a few DIY glycol solutions on the forums if you're interested in them.

I use an inkbird controller, along with the used fridge, and a small space heater. The drawback is that cold crash temperature is limited to how low the fridge will go.

Chest Freezer and a heat wrap is the way I went. I try not brew 2 beers with a big difference in temp needs so I can have 2 beers going at the same time. Before that though, I used this with good success. https://www.amazon.com/Home-Brewing-Fermentation-Cooler-Temperature/dp/B008EKD7CQ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1NX157AU3TVZ0&keywords=beer+fermentation+fermenters&qid=1674680522&sprefix=beer+fermentation,aps,93&sr=8-4
Keep a few frozen water bottles around for chilling and use the inkbird.
I tried that. Only kept it about 2-3 degrees below ambient. When the heat in the fermenter started to rise from the fermentation. It did nothing

Hi everyone, I'm considering buying a small-sized fermenter, between 20 and 30 l,

I started out fermenting in a plastic bucket and quickly grew out of them. A Glycol systems is really the end all solution for cooling during fermentation (in my opinion), but as everyone else has mentioned, it represents a significant expense. I have a small chest freezer that I converted to keep kegs in, the cost for the temperature control unit was minimum and would work perfect for cooling. Cost and Space are both important aspects, and of course how much you plan to brew.

Back