Thoughts on this Rye Stout?

Here4TheBeers

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Tinkering with this stout recipe for my buddy's 40th birthday in December. Anyone have any experience with rye stouts? I'm trying to get a good bit of rye character in this one. Seems like the FG is on the high side? I also haven't finished the hope schedule just yet.

Open to thoughts or suggestions. Probably won't brew this for a few more weeks.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1286220/abs-40th-rye-stout-wip-

Thanks in advance!
Pat

looks good to me. if I were to change anything, I would delete the roasted barely. let the Rye be the star

just make sure you do a good starter with that high gravity

Looks very good. My one comment is that you have too much roasted grains. At 50 SRM... that's too much and will create an acrid bitter taste. Aim instead for 30 to 35 SRM, that will still be black and roasty but smoother to drink. Reduction of any of your roasted grains is fine, doesn't matter too much which one, do it to your own preference.

Not knowing your target audience and what their tastes are...

I hate to be the one to disagree, but that grain bill seems far too complicated to me. I simply can't see the end game with the carapils and crystal malts. And I agree with dmtaylor, all the dark malts and 50 SRM is going to be too much, too overpowering, too "ash-tray"... especially with your IBUs at 66 and ABV through the roof. That's not going to make for a very drinkable beer, IMO.

You could probably make a Rye Stout in 4 ingredients, maybe 5.
Base Malt, Rye Malt, Flaked Rye (or Flaked Barley), Chocolate Rye. If you need a bit more color because you don't want to push the Chocolate Rye too far, add some Carafa.
After that, what is really necessary?

Just my opinion!!

Good luck. I'm sure you'll nail it in the end.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, really appreciate it!

Yeah, I guess the grain bill was a bit all over the place. I tend to over-research a bit. I've simplified it based on suggestions, kept the roasted barley since I think it need a little roast, though I did cut it in half.

Also, I realize that I originally said rye stout, when I meant to say imperial rye stout, hence why the IBU and ABV were so high originally. So my apologies there. For an imperial they're in line, albeit on the lower end of the spectrum, but still open to suggestions. I did adjust the SRM to be more in line with the style as well.

Updated Recipe:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1286220/abs-40th-rye-stout-wip-

How's this one look?

Thanks!
Pat

I agree. That looks a LOT better. I like the idea of mashing long (75 min) and also that you have built this recipe around a lower efficiency than I’m sure you are used to. Big beers can be a bit challenging.

Good luck, this looks like a winner.

Please keep us posted!

Ditto Gary and Iliff...and "boiling" off that little amount of water in 60 minutes seems a bit wishful...I do that in about a 1/2 hour.

Thanks again all!

Yeah, I've learned from past bigger beers to lower my efficiency and extend the mash. The boil usually goes a bit longer, so not quite 60. I usually let it go a few minutes before starting the timer and the hop schedule.

I'll keep everyone posted on progress. Probably won't be until December sometime when bottles get first cracked, but I'll definitely provide an update.

Thanks!
Pat

Hey all,

Figured I'd post a quick update.

Brew day was this past Saturday. Aside from waking up later than expected, everything went smoothly and hit my OG dead on. Fermentation took off 24ish hours later. Switched from WLP001 to WLP090 San Diego Super Ale Yeast.

Only troublesome part was I figured my basement ambient temp would be cool enough, but not so much and the temp got up to 77, so I had to wrap wet towels around the fermenter to bring it down. Hopefully no serious harm done. It's back at 68-70ish and will sit there for the next week or so before bottling. Fingers crossed.

I'll post another update once we open some bottles. Probably mid-November or so.

Thanks again for all the input and feedback!

Pat

you have to consider the rise in temp that the yeast will cause. I am sure it will be fine. stouts are soo powerfully flavoured a little off flavours from fermentation wont be significant. (assuming there are some)

Back