Thirteen Bitter Years

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am going to be able to get a brew day in this weekend! Planning on brewing this recipe, hoping to get some input on this recipe. The goal is essentially a hazy NEIPA. My biggest goal with this brew is to dial in my water volumes, and efficiency, but hoping to make a great beer in the process.
TIA,
Craigerrr

Reactions: J A
I started with a traditional Belgian Wit grist and used a fairly clean, low attenuating ale yeast. Turned out to be the perfect malt palate for a juicy-hopped hazy pale.

Very interesting, i will do a little research on that, thanks!

The best NEIPAs aren't made intentionally hazy but just have so much hop juice that they take forever to clear. Suspended yeast or starch isn't necessary the traditional Wit grist gives a nice body with lots of body and proteins to help hold the hops in suspension as well as a full mouthfeel but relatively crisp finish. I found it to be a really good vehicle for the style.

I just wrote a recipe for an APA, fermented with Wyeast 1010, a less expressive wheat yeast. If all goes well, might write an IPA with the 1010.... or not. Something to consider for those bit by the haze craze.

Thanks all for the input, brewed this last night, PBG was 10 points low so I decided to boil for 90 minutes. Watching the volume I ended up boiling for 75 minutes. My OG ended up 1 point high ... or basically bang on. Target 1063, actual 1064. Fernenter volume also bang on. I think I will adjust my absorption rate down a bit more, but I am making progress on my process.

I pitched around 9:00 last night, it is chugging away nicely this morning.

Thanks all for the input, brewed this last night, PBG was 10 points low so I decided to boil for 90 minutes. Watching the volume I ended up boiling for 75 minutes. My OG ended up 1 point high ... or basically bang on. Target 1063, actual 1064. Fernenter volume also bang on. I think I will adjust my absorption rate down a bit more, but I am making progress on my process.

Are you adding hops during fermentation?

Yes, 2oz of Citra, will be adding it later in the week.

Oh my, so after less than 24 hours in the fermenter this brew is going crazy, the airlock blew off full of foamy wort. Glad I put in a tote! I heard the airlock blow off from the other room, I quickly set up a gallon jug and a tube in place of the air lock, glad I was here when it happened.

Update
Due to being busy I didn't add the dry hop when I should have.
This past Monday morning I added 2oz Citra to the keg, racked it to the keg with CO2, and set it at 30 PSI.
This afternoon I turned the pressure down to 10 PSI, and took a sample to try.
I am thrilled to report that it turned out exactly as intended, I am thrilled with the result!

Okay, so I lied, this did not turn out exactly as I had expected, or should I say hoped...

My comments above were based on the taste from my first pull off the keg, which I know realize had a lot of break material in it, but it tasted wicked good. One the break material was tapped off, the beer is okay, but really is just not that good. It tastes quite malty, and the ops flavor is not really coming through. Which it did in spades in the first pull, which I don't really understand.
There was a half pound of crystal 60 in the recipe, I am told that I should lose the C60 altogether.

This is what the first pull looked like, I was ecstatic, this is what I was going for and it was super juicy, and hoppy.
First Pull from Keg.JPG

This is what it looked like after tapping off all of the break material.
I haven't kegged before, is this normal?
Second Pull from Keg.JPG

It shouldn't get that much darker.... Perhaps it got oxidized?

Those super hoppy NEIPA styles oxidize pretty quick and turn dark... had a Citra Saison do that but they still taste great... gotta drink em quick

Yep oxidized man that sux that first pour does look like orange juice:) and oh so delicious. It must just taste dull now eh?

Live and learn I guess.

Back