The Four Deadly Sins of Homebrew

Diacetyl is nasty, tasted that in some San Miguel a couple of weeks ago. Hope it never turns up in my beer

Good read, thanks Nosy

Diacetyl is nasty, tasted that in some San Miguel a couple of weeks ago. Hope it never turns up in my beer
It's not necessarily nasty as long as the beer is fresh. It can actually be a quite pleasant buttered popcorn or toffee flavor. Problem is it oxidizes into something like rancid grain so again we see the influence of Big Beer: Diacetyl became evil because it affects shelf life.

It's not necessarily nasty as long as the beer is fresh. It can actually be a quite pleasant buttered popcorn or toffee flavor. Problem is it oxidizes into something like rancid grain so again we see the influence of Big Beer: Diacetyl became evil because it affects shelf life.

Oddly, there's a hint of it in my latest beer which is coming out of the fermenter today. It's just a touch at first taste and then seems to dissipate after a few moments; very unexpected. Have to say I'd neer thought of it as anything other than a really unwanted flavour in beer, and super rare - I can only recall finding it in beer three times.

Oddly, there's a hint of it in my latest beer which is coming out of the fermenter today. It's just a touch at first taste and then seems to dissipate after a few moments; very unexpected. Have to say I'd neer thought of it as anything other than a really unwanted flavour in beer, and super rare - I can only recall finding it in beer three times.
Like anything else, one man's mead is another's poison. I try to avoid it in my beers. But I've tasted beers in which it was a nice note.

Back