the effects of salt on hop presence?

Ron Reyes (Papa Piggy)

Trial Member
Reaction score
So Ive been thinking for a while that my Hop efficiency or whatever it is is low.
I know there are many reasons for this but i had an interesting thing happen recently. My second attempt at making a Serra Nevada Pale Ale Clone was really missing any hop nose or flavour. then I was eating some potato chips and all of a sudden there came the hops. So how do we explain that and can additional salt in the my water help. I typically use my local water supply report as a starting point and then for this type of beer i aim at the "balanced profile". Im just thinking in general terms.

I guess Salt is a flavor enhancer... Maybe that explains it? Or maybe instead of working toward balanced you should try working toward a hoppy style water profile.

Adding gypsum also helps. And yes salt, alcohol are flavour enhancers

Salt would be chloride, indicating something is off with the malt, not the hops. Too much sulfate can be harsh.

Well you'll have to brew that clone again but this time raise the chloride addition some by adding more table salt try 2:1 chloride to sulphate and see how you like it.

Back