The Belated Beer Belly!

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Alrighty im going to be cheeky and bring this topic up!

Everyone knows what consumption of copious amounts of beer comes to the dreaded beer belly yes no?

Well ive found myself in combat to this i thinko_O.

Remember back to the new year when i was doing that crazy "reset" thing for the wifey? Well ive sorta continued on in sorts... i dont eat bread as "much" as i used to. I used to eat toast as a snack after work. I dont drink dairy milk regularly only in store bought coffees and thats a regular. Yep so im on the caffeine again, you didnt think i could hold out on the beloved heart starter did you :p. But i recon eliminating big consumption of bread and dairy and sugar has led to a lesser bulge in the beer holding section of my bodyo_O.

Im not kidding im 33 this year so factor that in as well but before Christmas i had a decent beer gut it was noticeable but now not so much where people might say oi mate lay off the beer or have given up on the 6 pack and workin on the keg are we:p.

Amyhow whats everyones elses beer belly combat strategies id love to know. I want to be able to brew my beer and drink it too:oops::D.

No offence ment by this thred if any taken just putting down what i find helps with the residual yeasties
Cheers all

I just moderate my intake I have 1 or 2 beers everyday, and a few extras on the weekends while I'm brewing or doing yard work etc. I stay very active.

Well since i started brewing a few years back I was a miller lite guy. Lets just say my eyes have been opened to whats out there! Im48 years old so I have that going for me too. You are still quite young and have a metabolism that im sure works much better than mine does. Regardless I fight the beer belly buldge and my help comes from running. Its the most bennifical cardio I can do in 30 to 40 minuts every other day. Im 6-4" tall and I weigh 225LBS. I first started running (only 3 to 5 miles) when I saw a physical therapist due to some lower disk problems. She showed me a routine on a pilates ball that i do for my core in about 15 min then off for my run. This works for me for a number of reasons and is not for everyone. For guys with bad backs a gut is the worse thing you can have. However I stil fight the belly bulge.I also recenty have stopped weekday drinking. It gives me something to look forward to on the weekend. :)

I feel a little sheepish. I'll be 51 this year. I think I've lost a couple pounds lately. I must not be eating enough. My belt feels a little loose these days. I drink the equivalent of about two 22 ounce bottles per day. Putting on weight just by looking at cheesecake continues to be a foreign concept to me.

I bet you found out the key to drinking home brew "no sugar" lol otherwise your the stink bomb man

I feel a little sheepish. I'll be 51 this year. I think I've lost a couple pounds lately. I must not be eating enough. My belt feels a little loose these days. I drink the equivalent of about two 22 ounce bottles per day. Putting on weight just by looking at cheesecake continues to be a foreign concept to me.
My god I wish I had that problem - in fact in my 20's I couldnt gain weight no matter what now I have to watch everything I eat. Not fun but it beats the other side.

Getting to the gym helps me moderate the beer belly problem. I also live in a very walkable neighborhood.

oh and don't fall in that crazy light beer trap thinking your not drinking as many calories, that just bull, I drink more calories with a 90 calorie beer than a 175 calorie beer because i drink twice as much

Well as i get older(68) i have started to procure a bigger belly:eek:. have always been quite slim but since retirement and brewing beer the belly has formed!.
been going to the gym twice a week with the missus and must say my protuberance has diminished somewhat:D

Beer makes you fat ? I drink probably far too much and still have the same waist size i did at 17 ...20 years ago !
A physical job , an active lifestyle and a pretty decent diet are all on my side there though

hot and humid here, Im having trouble breathing, storms high, low pressure all in a coupe of days, Beer take me away lol

Middle age spread is not far away matey:eek::D
Probably true...:(
In my case, I don't think it has so much been approaching 40, but rather having two kids and therefore not being nearly as active as before. I am still what most people would call "thin", but breaking 160lbs on the scale, not fitting in some pants anymore, and the visibly growing spare tire around my middle are all reminders of fast approaching middle age.

I can lose mine in a heart beat ive done it many times and im 53, all I have to do is stop drinking beer and stop sitting on the couch all evening but "who wants to do that" :D

Probably true...:(
In my case, I don't think it has so much been approaching 40, but rather having two kids and therefore not being nearly as active as before. I am still what most people would call "thin", but breaking 160lbs on the scale, not fitting in some pants anymore, and the visibly growing spare tire around my middle are all reminders of fast approaching middle age.
Listen
i was always thin:)then i hit 60,got a bit of a belly,then at 65 onwards and retirement,plus booze has seen my lithe body go blaghhhhhhhhhh:eek::D

I recon there is a sure combat strategy.
1 exercise
2 consume less sugar
3 consume less bread at least whilst drinking for me that's always!
4 milk dairy cut that too

I know my little yeasties I brew with can multiply from a thin film at the bottom of a storage jar into the many billions. I gather if I give them the right ingredients in my belly they will multiply in there too. Resulting in some fermentation gas coming outta both ends lol:eek:.

1. Do people think yeast can survive the harsh conditions in the human stomach I hear it's heaps acidic in there.

Think enzymes in our gut just Like in the mash tun convert those carbohydrates into sugars which I think the yeasties ferment??

Back