temperature controlling fermentation

weldedsord

Premium Member
Reaction score
so I was talking to a family friend who is a bjcp judge and had him try a few of my homebrew he sent back notes and said I made good homebrew but it all had a fusel and told me to get a device to control my fermentation temp anyone know a good one for five gallons that is cheap or a good diy project that is cheap thanks ps I ment to put this in general brewing discussion but I clicked the wrong thread

Knowing what temperature range you're dealing with would help to determine what kind of cooling might work for you. Depending on what kind of beers you brew, there are also yeast strains that don't produce of flavors at higher fermentation temperatures. As always here, more information will result in better answers.

Knowing what temperature range you're dealing with would help to determine what kind of cooling might work for you. Depending on what kind of beers you brew, there are also yeast strains that don't produce of flavors at higher fermentation temperatures. As always here, more information will result in better answers.
I like using s-04 us-05 and Nottingham are my main 3 and I live in a place that has a temp of 60 to 80 degrees on average this time of year

I build a Yooper lagerator, for keeping my beer cooler for lagering (my climate is pretty cool).
I will tell you that while I like S04 in general, the flavors in it get pretty bad when fermented at over about 67-68 degrees. And an active fermentation can often be 10 degrees higher than ambient room temperature, so I wouldn't use S04 in your situation (or nottingham, which gets rather foul at higher temperatures). S05 is fairly tolerant of 72 degrees, but above that it creates off-flavors.

Anyway, my lagerator is a cooler with a new lid made out of construction foam (three layers) and then filled up to the beer level with water. I drop frozen water bottles in the water, and a floating thermometer, and monitor the temperature that way. It also avoids large swings in temperature because of the amount of water and beer in there. In the winter, I may need an aquarium heater in there instead of frozen water bottles! Ignore all the junk- this is in my basement.
4189-dscf0001-9589.jpg

Used refrigerators and deep freezes make good fermentation chambers of you have room. If course, you'll need an external temperature controller as the setting s in the fridges don't go that high.

I love in Louisiana and do my brewing and fermenting in the garage where ambient daytime temperatures are in the 90's all summer.

Back