tell me what to brew on sunday

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
literally, tell me what style to brew on sunday. only stipulation: no lager styles.

ready set, go!

A nice brown ale?

ooo. I do have a few Brown recipes i made over the summer.. there's two i'm looking at in particular. The first one has munich as the base malt with pale chocolate rounding out flavor and color, and Bavarian Wheat yeast... hops to vary on this.

The other is intended to be a wakeup and slap ya in the face beer. 2-row base with 5% Coffee Malt and 5% Chocolate Wheat malt, and Wyeast German Ale... also not sure about hops on this one, probably Perle.

Yeah, I recently kegged a test batch of what will be our Stache Bash 2017 beer. Smelled delicious, but sadly not ready yet

I'm also intending to make something with 6row, Cara rye, and corn with about 2 or oz of Jarryo. And prob some dry wheat ale yeast forget what kind. Weird choices, but half the stuff I got at homebrew con, so no loss there

Yeah..Brown beer is in season. Nut Brown, Alt, Dunkelweizen, Dry Stout.
Maybe something a little bigger like a fairly strong Winter Ale. You're not going to need a lot of warming up where you are, but a nice big-bodied ale with plenty of malt, caramel and roastiness that packs a pretty good punch will go pretty nice around Mardi Gras.

Yeah..Brown beer is in season. Nut Brown, Alt, Dunkelweizen, Dry Stout.
Maybe something a little bigger like a fairly strong Winter Ale. You're not going to need a lot of warming up where you are, but a nice big-bodied ale with plenty of malt, caramel and roastiness that packs a pretty good punch will go pretty nice around Mardi Gras.

I do have some Dunkelweizen recipes, never have dove into any german wheats yet. I do have some good winter warmers that i'm planning on brewing in November, so they'll be ready for christmas new year and january.

As for mardi gras, i've had plans for that for a long time, February 28 is fat tuesday in 2017. for that i'm doing Session wheats, session saisons, session golden ales. all with a good amount of spring spices and citra hops.

Reactions: J A
As for mardi gras, i've had plans for that for a long time, February 28 is fat tuesday in 2017. for that i'm doing Session wheats, session saisons, session golden ales. all with a good amount of spring spices and citra hops.

Yeah you right!!
I'm coming to your house! :D

Yeah you right!!
I'm coming to your house! :D
everyone's always invited for mardi gras, but be prepared to get hammered 6 days in a row.

settling on a brown ale for this weekend with coffee malt and chocolate wheat malt, hoping the lhbs carries chocolate wheat. will probably end up subbing in just chocolate malt. Probably going to sub in some citrusy hops for a good balance.

Reactions: J A
everyone's always invited for mardi gras, but be prepared to get hammered 6 days in a row.

settling on a brown ale for this weekend with coffee malt and chocolate wheat malt, hoping the lhbs carries chocolate wheat. will probably end up subbing in just chocolate malt. Probably going to sub in some citrusy hops for a good balance.

I'll bring the gumbo, but I don't know if I can handle 6 days. o_O:eek::D

I did a dark "amber" ale extract/steeped recipe sort of quickie-style that used Crystal 80, Pale Chocolate for grains along with Munich and Amber LME with Nugget hops. Turned out really nice, but I think a little citrus in the hops would have been nice.
I worked out a little more complex version of that using more grains and Light LME instead of the Amber to get a little less syrup-y sweetness and I used UK Phoenix hops. That one turned out great and those hops have a little bit of orange in the flavor.

Alrighty, here's how it's playing out.
80% 2-row, 5% Coffee Malt, 5% Chocolate Wheat, 10% cane sugar for some that extra lil sumpin sumpin.
I think i'm going 100% amarillo hops, at 60, 20, and flameout. Fermented with 1007 German Ale.

Willing to compromise on hops though, definitely want a citrus kick to go with the coffeechoco.

Back