Target Water Profile conflicts with mash ph

SneakyGnome

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to replicate a water profile from Reverse Osmosis water. With the current grain bill and my salt additions to achieve the target water specifications I get a mash ph of 5.6 right on the high end. Any thoughts how to lower the ph. I've already added some Citric Acid but has little effect to mash ph and lowers the HCO3 at the same time.

Add some acidulated malt to the grain bill to lower the pH. Typically 2-4oz per 5 gallon batch does the trick.

Post some more details or the shared water profile so we can help.

OK, sorry about not giving more details in the first post. I am trying to make a Strong Scotch Ale so I thought to try adjusting the water a bit this go around.

Water Target Selection: Edinburgh (Scottish Ale, Malty Ale)
Source Water: Reverse Osmosis

Edinburgh Profile:
Ca:100 ppm
Mg:18 ppm
Na:20 ppm
Cl: 45 ppm
SO4: 105 ppm
HCO3: 235 ppm
Reverse Osmosis Profile:
Ca:1 ppm
Mg:0 ppm
Na:8 ppm
Cl: 4 ppm
SO4: 1 ppm
HCO3: 16 ppm

Total Water Volume: 9.3 Gallons - Mash & Sparge Combined
Mash Water: 5.8 gallons
Sparge Water: 3.5 Gallons

Added the following to get into the target water profile range:
2.5 g Gypsum
5.0 g Epsom Salt
3.0 g Calcium Chloride
12.0 g Chalk
1.0 g Baking Soda

Grist DI water pH: 5.5

Mash pH comes out to be 5.7

Hope this helps, if there is no response I will break away from the target water profile and strive for a 5.5ish Mash pH. But if I understand LarryBrewer correctly maybe adjusting the grain bill slightly with a little more roasted grain (more acidic-I believe) I might fix this. Thanks

Attachments

• Grain Bill.JPG
    Grain Bill.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 711
There is literally a malt called 'acidulated malt' that raises the pH of the mash. I use it when needed and it works out great. It is under "German - Acidulated Malt" in the recipe editor, and on the water calculator it can be selected in the type drop down in the grist section.

As for this profile, the chalk is what is raising the pH so much. I would drop that and use Calcium Chloride and Gyspum, and not worry so much about the overall hardness. You may even be better off targeting our 'Balanced Profile II'.

That looks like a lot of Epsom salt, by the way.

Back