Supplier Shorting Hops

abenes

Trial Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had a supplier short them hops pellets in 1 oz packages? If so, is it better to order 8 oz packages?

Mine recently shorted 3, 1 oz packs by as much as .25 oz! Not worth complaining to them as i was able to adjust/compensate but will pay more attention on future brews that are more hops dependent.

If so, is it better to order 8 oz packages?

Might be better to just not order from them anymore. If they pinched you on the one-ouncers, they'll likely do it with the bigger packages.

Which supplier was it?

Might be better to just not order from them anymore. If they pinched you on the one-ouncers, they'll likely do it with the bigger packages.

Which supplier was it?
Northern Brewer. Theyve been pretty good up until now.

So this wasn't some little outfit that buys in bulk, vac-seals in bags and resells on Amazon. It's NB.

It could be as simple as the supplier's machine partial-filling a few pouches (maybe the tail end of a batch) and you unfortunately received those. I wouldn't think NB would purposely short hops, as doing that regularly is bad for business. Hanlon's Razor, and all. But be sure to check any future orders.

I'll bet if you sent a friendly message to NB, telling them what happened, they might make it right.

We buy in 5kg foil packs and find that there is some variation, some a bit over and some a bit under. I like to think that there's nothing cynical in it, it's just a mechanised process that's 99% accurate 99% of the time.

Has anyone else had a supplier short them hops pellets in 1 oz packages? If so, is it better to order 8 oz packages?

Mine recently shorted 3, 1 oz packs by as much as .25 oz! Not worth complaining to them as i was able to adjust/compensate but will pay more attention on future brews that are more hops dependent.
It IS worth complaining about. You were shorted 25%, that's way too much to let go.

Appreciate the feedback. My assumption was/is that it’s not intentional skimming but at low volumes they may have an error or two so perhaps a buying larger quantities and vac-sealing the remainders would be a more reliable way to get the exact amount needed for each batch.

Appreciate the feedback. My assumption was/is that it’s not intentional skimming but at low volumes they may have an error or two so perhaps a buying larger quantities and vac-sealing the remainders would be a more reliable way to get the exact amount needed for each batch.

More cost effective too

Homebrew store seems to be pretty good and only about 20 minutes away:)

I had the exact same problem. Now I get my hops from a valley out in Washington state in 8 oz to 1 lb packages. With the sales, I get good deals and can use larger amounts later in the boil/dry hop without breaking the bank account. The quality has been great, too. After throwing out Citra and Cascade from other suppliers, I have had no problems with weight, trash in the pellets, or a great hop aroma. FYI - You can get 2 oz pkgs., too. I do once in awhile for the ones I don't use much of very often.

@abenes, do you have a vacuum sealer? You can buy hops in larger quantities, take out what you need, then vac-seal the rest and store in the freezer. Your hops will last a few years if you keep them frozen.

Last edited:
So this wasn't some little outfit that buys in bulk, vac-seals in bags and resells on Amazon. It's NB.

It could be as simple as the supplier's machine partial-filling a few pouches (maybe the tail end of a batch) and you unfortunately received those. I wouldn't think NB would purposely short hops, as doing that regularly is bad for business. Hanlon's Razor, and all. But be sure to check any future orders.

I'll bet if you sent a friendly message to NB, telling them what happened, they might make it right.

Always had NB offer to make it right. But then there are those suppliers that take pride in all aspects from receiving the order, quality, and through packaging and shipping. Those that are a cut above rarely have problems, nor do I have to wash everything due to a DME or corn sugar bag leak.

I had the exact same problem. Now I get my hops from a valley out in Washington state in 8 oz to 1 lb packages. With the sales, I get good deals and can use larger amounts later in the boil/dry hop without breaking the bank account. The quality has been great, too. After throwing out Citra and Cascade from other suppliers, I have had no problems with weight, trash in the pellets, or a great hop aroma. FYI - You can get 2 oz pkgs., too. I do once in awhile for the ones I don't use much of very often.
is your supplier of the Yakima persuasion? :D

I checked my LHBS last buy on hops. All were at least 1 oz. They have some generic plastic bags and they use yakima hops. All were in spec

@abenes, do you have a vacuum sealer? You can buy hops in larger quantities, take out what you need, then vac-seal the rest and store in the freezer. Your hops will last a few years if you keep them frozen.
This is what Craigerrr does:)

Back