Summer Saison w/Grains of Paradise

KUBrew

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to brew a Saison. Haven't used GOP, wondering if 2.5 grams cracked would be good. Has anyone used it, if so, how much in 5Gal batch? Thanks for inputs!!

8LB Pilsner
2LB Oat Malt
1LB 10L Crystal
1LB Carapils

1oz Mt. Hood 60 Min
1oz Mt Hood 0 Min

1/2 oz cracked toasted coriander seed 10 Min
1/2 oz dried lemon peel 10 Min
2.5 G cracked Grains of Paradise 10 Min

Fermentis BE-134

Every time I read about them I think I should try it. So far haven't, so I'll be interested if you do.

Sounds interesting, but haven't tried either ;)

I think the spices would go well in this style it should if BE-134 is an expressive saison yeast complement them nicely. (I get an earthy mustardy thing from my yeast)
The trick is how much now not to be overwhelming and to ballance in with the beer your creating.

Finally got around to brewing this, has been in the bottle a few weeks now and have to say, it's one of my favorite Saisons to date. The spice mix is there but you can't really pick out any one in particular. I might use a little more lemon peel next time, possibly a tad more GOP but they pack quite a spice punch so really have to ramp up slowly if at all. The BE-134 is very similar to Lallemand Belle Saison, ferments down to 1.001 in about 2 weeks at 75f. I let it go closer to 3 weeks to let it finish and settle out. Previously I've brewed Cabin Fever Saison from NHA's site using orange peel and cardamom vs. lemon peel and GOP. I think I like this version better.

Did you use the 2.5 gr in 5 gallon batch?
Just interested to have a ball park figure, just in case I get my hands on the spice :)

I'm planning to brew a Saison. Haven't used GOP, wondering if 2.5 grams cracked would be good. Has anyone used it, if so, how much in 5Gal batch? Thanks for inputs!!

8LB Pilsner
2LB Oat Malt
1LB 10L Crystal
1LB Carapils

1oz Mt. Hood 60 Min
1oz Mt Hood 0 Min

1/2 oz cracked toasted coriander seed 10 Min
1/2 oz dried lemon peel 10 Min
2.5 G cracked Grains of Paradise 10 Min
mobile welder atlanta
Fermentis BE-134
Using Grains of Paradise (GOP) in a Saison can add a unique spicy and peppery flavor. The amount you use depends on your personal preference and desired flavor intensity. Generally, a good starting point for GOP in a 5-gallon batch would be around 2 to 5 grams (0.07 to 0.18 ounces). Since you're using 2.5 grams of cracked GOP, that should provide a noticeable but not overpowering flavor contribution to your Saison. It's always a good idea to start with a smaller amount and adjust in future batches based on your taste preferences. When using GOP, it's recommended to crack the seeds to help release their flavors. You can do this by using a mortar and pestle, a spice grinder, or by crushing them in a sealed bag with a rolling pin. Overall, your recipe looks well-balanced, and the addition of GOP, toasted coriander seeds, and dried lemon peel should complement the flavors of the Saison style. Remember to follow proper fermentation practices and temperature control to ensure a successful brew. Cheers!

Back