Suggestions - Malt Editing / Late Addition

Zen Beerwerks

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have some suggestions! If they are actually in the editor somewhere and I just missed them, let me know.

First, I love that there is a list of grains you can choose from when building your recipe. One thing that makes it tough is that you cannot see what the statistics of the built in choices (lovibond in particular). My brew store has chocolate malts of different L for example. It would be nice to not only see the stats, much like when you add your own, but to be able to change them if need be after you add them. This would save some time and research.

Second, and maybe you can help me out here, the app for iphone lets you mark "late addition" on fermentables you add from the built in list. If I save it, the recipie online shows the checkbox. I cannot seem to find out how to set this when editing on my computer.

That's it! Thanks for building a great program, it's all I use and I love it.

Stats on Fermentables:
To see what the PPG and Lovibond for a fermentable is, click the down arrow (▼) below the fermentable line, or click the '▼ All'.

If you do not see the fermentable you are looking for in the drop down, click the Add Custom button.
This will bring up a custom fermentable line where you can provide a name, the PPG (points per pound per gallon), the Lovibond value (how dark), and if the item needs to be mashed. Grains are typically mashed, but sugars are not. Usually the manufacturer provides these numbers, but you can also look at similar ingredients as a guideline.

The Late Addition Checkbox:
Use this to exclude the fermentable from the estimated boil gravity used in the calculator. To reveal this for a standard fermentable, click the down arrow (▼) below the fermentable line, or click the '▼ All' button. This is usually done for about half of the total fermentables in an extract batch, but can also be done in any brew method when boosting the gravity with sugar. Doing it this way increases IBUs (higher utilization), so you get more bitterness out of the same hops.

Back