Submit photos for a brewing tutorial?

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
We are going to publish a tutorial (extract based) for new brewers on our site.

I think it would be really cool if we had photos from real brewers from our site to go with it.

We need photos of brewing process- a hydrometer, boiling wort, steeping grains, bottling, siphoning, capping bottles, thermometers, etc.

You of course would get my appreciation, and credit for the photos.

Does anybody want to post a few photos that could be used in our tutorial?

I have the world's simplest process, if you want it.

I'd like to have photos explaining the steps of brewing- like bottling, steeping, etc. If you want to share some photos, that would be great!

I should really document mine like I've said a couple times, I don't plan to brew for a bit though but I could post what pictures I do have already and you could decide if any of them are any good.

Summertime Lager Brew Day Pt1.

Alrighty it's raining out today and had a spur of the moment brew day.
Recipe https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/711317/summertime-lager.
I threw this one together in anticipation for a light dry crisp refreshing summertime lager. I spotted some rice flakes at the supermarket yesterday and thought of Ozarks Blondie with his crush able blond ale offering and thought I've always wanted to try 34/70 in this style grist plus it's all I've got in the brew bucket...

So first step make or borrow a recipie on the BF recipie tool. If I borrow or copy someone else's recipie I always dial it into my Brewersfriend equipment profile first to see what my system loses will be for this brew. I use this to work out how much strike water and sparge water I'll need to use to hit my preboil volume see screen shot.
Screenshot_20180930-105920_Samsung Internet.jpg

So going by my selected profile losses I'll need 28.7lt of brew liquor I sparge with 5 lt so simply 23.7 lt strike water and 5lt sparge water. I then use this to calculate my water requirements for my summertime lager. I selected light coloured and hoppy because I want to accentuate the dryness of the beer by favouring the sulpate contributions which makes the beer seem more crisp and dry what I want to emulate with this bevvy:). I havnt nailed my numbers as you'll see in recipie link but I've used 6g sulphate 3g chloride so I know I'm in the ballpark... give or take a few ppm:rolleyes:.

Now I head out and get me kettle cleaned out (the odd dust particle and loose dog hair that has miraculously found it's way into my upturned kettle).
20180930_103956.jpg

I use the BIAB all in one vessal method on a gas burner it's a rainy day today so plenty of wind so use alfoil as a windbreaker on my brew stand.
Now I collect my strike water 23.7lt using 2 stage carbon filter I dont use Camden tablet or sodium metabisulpate I believe my carbon filter filters it all out but if not filtering water or using bottled spring water this is where you'll want to sort put any chlorine (just as Noseybear:D).
20180930_103852.jpg

I start heating this up whilst I measure out my grist but now is when I mix in my acid 3ml and brew salts 3g chloride 6g gypsum.
20180930_095655.jpg

Now whilst that's heating measure and mill your grains I use a thermomix to mill mine on reverse speed 10 10 seconds in small increments.
20180930_103801.jpg
ho
See the rice flakes I milled this into flour too maybe will get some starch haze but you know there wont be no conversion problems. Now go and check how that strike temps going (61c) and once there mash this baby in!
20180930_103402.jpg

If I'd used the mash temp calculator I might have been closer ha ha I hit 61.8c meh that's in the beta amelayse range so I'm fine with this. I cap the mash with alfoil to try and keep heat in plus it it acts as a shield of sorts against 02 ingress. I wrap in a blanket and pop lid on and check and stir mash half way though.
20180930_103302.jpg

What I'm trying to do here is extract highly fermentable sugars that the yeast are going to RIP through resulting in high attenuation Im going for dry and crisp here so low and slow Is what I'm going for 40 or so mins I'll mash here then I'll step up into the beta range 68c to finnish off conversion. The jury us out on weather this step mash even matters with our well modified malts today but ill stick to this step mash anywho as I think it matterso_O:rolleyes:. Oh now a good time to check mash PH 15 mins into mash I'm aiming at 5.3ph my PH meter is cactus atm so i will skip this. Once mash is about 15min from end I start heating up sparge water to around 75c
20180930_115901.jpg

I've also added a drop or two of lactic to this to keep sparge water ph low to mitigate tannin extraction in sparge I'm only using 5lt so should be negligible.
In doing a First Wort Hop Addition on this brew so I'll go measure out hops now.
20180930_120410.jpg

I use a removable marker for time indication and REMEMBER the finnings:)!
20180930_120628.jpg

Summertime lager Pt 2 next....

Summertime Lager Pt 2.
Gloves on if you dont want burnt sticky fingers and let's get sparging. Oh and if you've got a furry brew assistant watch out for the microbial attack from flying brew thirsty suicidal dog hairs! :eek: I swear I find them dammed little dog hairs everywhere :p.
20180930_122247.jpg

Yes cute brew assistant/Wort drinker/ spent grain consumer hee hee hee!
Right mash is done sparg is heated to 75c time to get me hands dirty a work for my beer!
20180930_122351.jpg

Keep everything within hands length I find is best when lifting sticky hot grain I use a pot with holes drilled in bottom to sit my grain bag in for the sparge. Just one of many options you can batch sparge in a whole separate vessal then pour that back I just found this was easiest so far for me...
20180930_122717.jpg

I use a small jug to ladle in sparge water.
Once sparge is done I squeeze the heck outta the bag to get that last Liter or so of wort.
All this time the flames been lit and the FWH addition is soaking its hoppy goodness inti the wort. Now it's time to take your pre boil gravity sample. I give the whole kettle a good stir and pour and decant some wort through the tap and keep about 200ml to go in the freezer to cool down so I can take a pre boil gravity reading. When taking hydro reading try and take them at hydro calibration temp mines 20c if not use the Brewers friend hydro temp calculator. :)
View attachment 3993
A nice respectable 1.044! Sheesh I love gladfield malts great extract potential.
Now is when you also log in any notes into the brew session log. Mine is pretty basic but record any differences from recipie like actual mash temps PH ect any big break or wort taste, aroma...
Screenshot_20180930-131313_Samsung Internet.jpg

Now dont forget to set that timer I'll set mine at 40mins I've got a hop addition at 20 min mark then Imersion chiller at 15min and the delta flock at 5 mins to go before cooking. In the meantime it's time to get cleaning up that brew bag, sparge pot, gloves and the all important fermentation vessal.
20180930_133123.jpg

I pop the Imersion chiller in at 15min it takes 5 min till the boil starts again so that allows 10min sanitation give or take.
20180930_135851.jpg

Today I'm using a little 12v solar pump to recirculate pool water through the chiller it's been raining non stop why add more water to the already soaked yard. I can run this as long as I want without a guilty I'm wasting water Aussie concience comming from the driest habitable continent you'll understand ;).
20180930_143919.jpg

The ferm chamber has been occupied by my strawberry wheat bier and I'm not fermenting this lager out in ambient spring weather so before boil is done Ive got to rack that to clear the fermentation chamber. This is also a great way to utilize cleaning and sanitizing solution and kill 2 birds with one stone. I cleaned out cube fermentor first then cleaned receiving keg poured cleaner from cube fermentor into bucket- boiled transfer hose used boiling water to clean recieving and fermentor then filled both with recieving keg and fermentor with sanitizer. A lot of juggling but most brewers might find themselves in this position especially brewing on a whim like I've done...
20180930_144622.jpg
whilst mucking around doing keg transfer the kettle was chilling I timed it @ 24 mins STC read 26c. I take a final gravity reading now before transfer into fermentor or you can also take one before pitching yeast it's up to you. I also transfer the lot into fermentor trub and all so this can be a pain when taking samples. I find collecting a 200ml volume allows for trub to settle so it doesnt scew hydrometer readings later.
20180930_145510.jpg

1.054 10 predictable points from the boil volume was around the 21 lt mark cant tell as no marking on cube. Wort is nice light straw colour what I'm aiming for here. According to the calculator that's 90% efficiency wowie:D my best but I'm gathering Final volume maybe a touch under 21lt anyhow let's not ignore the Gladfield Malts give them a try every time I've used them I get an extra couple percent extraction out of them.
Well I'm going to go watch come Footy whilst this wort chills down to 12c pitching temp. I'll aerate and pitch next. Hope this had been helpful to you as a new brewer. And disclaimer I'm in no way a professional Brewer this is just a glance at the way I conduct a brew session. Cheers

Summertime Lager Pt3....​

Attachments

• 20180930_145510.jpg
    20180930_145510.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
I like your PPE. I should do something like this cause my process is significantly different.

I like your PPE. I should do something like this cause my process is significantly different.
Hey more than one way to skin a cat or brew a beer;). I hope you liked it.. I think I took Yoopers suggestions a bit too seriously I thought she wanted a brewtorial :rolleyes:. Anyway plenty of photos to use or not :).

I'm going to use some of your photos, so thank you so much!!!!!!! I'm hoping an extract brewer could help out as well with steeping grains, partial boil, etc, but this is an awesome start.

A couple of aeration pics.First, boiling the aeration stone to clean and sterilize. Second, just placed stone in the carboy. Third, Draped paper towel saturated with starsan over opening to keep it clean.
Aeration Stone.jpg
Aeration 1.jpg
Aeration 2.jpg

I'm doing a Stout Brew tomorrow... I'll try and take pics as I go. It will be a full grain mash though not an Extract.

Crap I need to remember to do this for you sometime.

Back