Strawberry Blonde

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Nola_Brew, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Nola_Brew

Nola_Brew Active Member

It's almost strawberry season here and looking to brew a test batch Strawberry Blonde (2 gal). For this batch I'll probably start with 3 lbs of berries.
    Couple questions:

I found this recipe but not sure what purpose flaked corn would be. Not sure if corn flavor would be right for this. Thoughts?

Also, not sure how Cascade/Saaz hops would work with strawberries. Should i stay with this hops or go with something else?

As for the strawberries best to just add to secondary and rack on top or put strawberries in a paint strainer bag?

68.1% Pilsner
    14.9% German Pale Wheat
    8.5% Carapils
    8.5% Flaked Corn
    8 lb fresh frozen strawberries, halved

Cascade at 60
    Saaz at 20 & 10

Notty or US05

OG: 1.051
    FG: 1.012
    ABV: 5.1%
    IBU: 25

2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    flaked corn will only add gravity, and thin the body. Can be useful in a cream ale if that's what you want.

Strawberries in my experience are a very light flavor. Hops could mask the strawberries. I did one time have a SMaSH beer with Huell Melon, and got a lot of strawberry note of that hop alone.

3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Yeah, the hops are odd. The grists a bit of a strange combination with corn thinning it out and an over-abundance of CaraPils trying to give it more body. I'd boost the Wheat and leave them both out. I like the notion of the Huell Melon paired with Strawberry. Magnum for bittering would be my first choice. "Notty or US05" will make 2 distinctly different beers. Notty will attenuate hard and leave it more dry and thin. US-05 will leave a softer flavor and feel and probably show off the hops a little more. Not sure which would accentuate the fruit, but I suspect that it would be 05, especially if you can hold it at around 63 degrees during early primary - I've gotten a lot of peach/stonefruit from it there.
    Make a few changes and give it a try. Don't trust the frozen strawberries to be safe to add to the fermenter. Puree with Vodka or use some potassium metabisulfate to make sure you're not getting wild yeast or other organisms.

Mase likes this.
  4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Strawberry flavor is so mild you don't want any hop character at all. Aim for even lower than you have, say around 15 IBUs, all of it at 60 minutes. Neutral bitterness is all you want. I agree with those above on losing the corn - it won't do much for you in this beer and you don't need to thin the body (the strawberries will do that for you). And finally, pasteurize or sanitize the berries with metabisulfite, then add to secondary to minimize the flavor loss. And use a lot of them.

5. jeffpn

jeffpn Well-Known Member

Allow headspace in the secondary if that’s when you add them.

6. Nola_Brew

Nola_Brew Active Member

potassium metabisulfate is the same as campden tablets? How would I add to the strawberries? I would prefer not to puree as I don't want the seeds to transfer when I bottle.

7. Nosybear

They won't, they'll settle out with the trub. And you can use either potassium or sodium metabisulfite - I think Campden is sodium - depending on your water and the outcome you want.

8. Nola_Brew

Nola_Brew Active Member

What if I soaked the halved strawberries in vodka. How long and would I still have to freeze prior to using?
    Would soaking in vodka change the taste/look of the strawberries?

9. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

LHBS owner
    the campden at the LHBS in Nola is potassium metabisulfite.

I had a dessert last night that had strawberries soaked in vodka. made them intensely more strawberry flavored. I think that might be enough sterilization, no need to freeze.

J A likes this.
  10. DanC

DanC Active Member

Retired
    Has anyone tried to pasteurize strawberries in a sous vide water bath?

11. Nosybear

Keep them at 160° for 20 mins - should work. I have a sous vide cooker I sometimes use to maintain mash temperatures and like the thing immensely!

J A likes this.
  12. Trialben

Trialben Well-Known Member

Pest control tech
    ive had good results.going the pasturise method adding fruits to secondary fermentation in saisons. i do 75c half hour. but.agree the strawberry flavour is so subtle you dont wanna loose it.

13. J A

J A Well-Known Member

I suggested that in my first response...it's something I've done and it works quite fine.