Stout Fugger

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews, Oct 4, 2020.

1. Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews Well-Known Member

Carpenter
    Trialben likes this.
  2. Josh Hughes

Josh Hughes Well-Known Member

Teacher
    I bet it will be tasty

3. hundel

hundel Member

#3 hundel, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    What’s the thinking behind the Pilsner malt? Maybe a little lighter body and a dryer finish than most Irish stouts? I’m just not used to seeing that. I would also be at the lower end of the scale for hop additions for that style (2 ounces of low alpha bittering hops might be fine but I’d be wary of more than an ounce of Fuggles as a very late addition for 10 gallons). Several years ago, inspired by bigger hop additions in many American porters, I increased my bittering hop quantities and added late additions of Fuggles to some tried and true porters, even dry-hopping a few. To every taster without exception these beers did not taste as good as those of more traditional proportions, even after months of storage. If you do go ahead with it, I’m interested to see if you find the same or if you are able to get good results with several ounces of Fuggles early and again late in the boil. Good luck!

4. Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews Well-Known Member

Carpenter
    Viking Pilsner is my go to base, Golden Ale was originally claimed to get close to Maris Otter when used with equal parts Viking Pils, don't know if it's spot on, but it's really nice and it let's me use the same base malt across the board(more or less). And I was thinking about losing the late hop addition, I probably will.

5. hundel

hundel Member

More and more people doing that to be sure. When I use Pilsner I’ve convinced myself I need a complicated 90 minute step mash so I save it for lagers but that probably doesn’t match reality with these modern malts.