Step mash calculation and target temp strike adjust

Bruer

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have two requests/clarifications:

I might be programming it incorrectly, but is there a way to accurately predict the correct OG for step mashes or decoctions? I tend to step mash my lagers (using a RIMs) and notice that the predicted OG is always calculating incorrectly. e.g. i might do a step mash of 55 / 63 / 68 / 76, which should yield a highly fermentable wort with high efficiency, but has a lower expected OG than a standard single infusion at 66C. Is there a way to fix this?

Also, is there a way to auto update the strike water temp when desired mash temp is entered in the calculator? It seems to default to 67C.

Cheers!

Nigel

We are currently working up updating the mash guidelines and that will help with the strike water temperature with step mashes.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting a lower expected OG with a step mash as a prediction, though- I've never seen that. Can you give me a link to where you are seeing that, and/or a screenshot of this happening?

1) Step mashing vs efficiency (OG).

I have not seen any well researched papers or articles that show any strong correlation between step mashing and efficiency (or og). Typically step mashing is used to control the fermentability/attenuation of wort, and is often used to make wort as highly fermentable as possible. Efficiency is almost solely related to your wort losses (mashtun undrainable volume, grain absorption, kettle losses), and your mash thickness / sparging process. That relationship is very well known and documented. Braukaiser is probably the most well known easily available source for this info.

If you're getting lower than expected OG, than you need to either lower your efficiency and use more grain, or some combination of lowering your wort losses, changing your sparging process, or improving your grain crush and mash pH.

2) Strike water temp

As @Yooper said, not at the moment, but some updates to the mash guidelines (including this), is on the roadmap after resolving some known bugs and issues.

Back