Steeping grains vanished from recipe!

Kosh

Trial Member
Reaction score
my recipe page porter low abv no longer has any steeping grains section, just isn't there! saved recipe 2 nights ago all fine, tonight all steeping grains gone, no way to get them back. often I'll save, come back later to discover double/tripple entries. found 7 copies of my yeast once! using amazon fire tablet silk browser and pc with firefox.

my recipe page porter low abv no longer has any steeping grains section, just isn't there! saved recipe 2 nights ago all fine, tonight all steeping grains gone, no way to get them back. often I'll save, come back later to discover double/tripple entries. found 7 copies of my yeast once! using amazon fire tablet silk browser and pc with firefox.

That's not good! If you still have the recipe available, could you make it public and post, or send it to @Yooper and myself in a PM so we can take a look?

here's a link to the problem page:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/900765/porter-low-abv

recipe was originally a dunkel which i saved a copy. (Below). Changed title and a few fermentables, next day steeping grains section was gone in editor, BUT only for that one recipe.
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: dunkle
Author: Kosh

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Munich Dunkel
Boil Time: 45 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 1.75 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 70% (steeping grains only)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 6.16%
IBU (tinseth): 21.52
SRM (morey): 23.74
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - DME Munich - (late addition) (50%)
16 oz - DME Munich (25%)
1 oz - Maltodextrin - (late addition) (1.6%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
3 oz - American - Chocolate (6.3%)
5 oz - American - Caramel / Crystal 40L (7.8%)
6 oz - German - CaraMunich II (9.4%)

HOPS:
14.5 g - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 35 min, IBU: 16.15
11 g - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 5.36

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

PRIMING:
CO2 Level: 2.75 Volumes

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Balanced Profile
Ca2: 0
Mg2: 0
Na: 0
Cl: 0
SO4: 0
HCO3: 0
Water Notes:

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2019-11-20 10:27 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2019-11-20 10:26 UTC

It’s a private recipe, but I can log in as you to take a look. The thing is, if I do that I could change things in your recipe inadvertently. Is it possible that you can copy it and try to recreate what happened? (And then grab a screenshot?)

I cannot see any reason for the steeping grains to vanish, and we definitely need to fix it, but without being able to actually see what happened, I”m stuck.

Hi Yooper, thanks for the help! Sure, go ahead and log in. I just hope to get my steeping grains drop down box back so i can finish out recipe. If the entire recipe disappears that's no problem, i remember it pretty well... just want that option back in place. I should have some free time later tonight so if you get the grain choices box back I will see if i can recreate the problem and will send screenshot. Hopefully it was a one time glitch and will never happen to anyone again... yes it was strange!

I'll say that when i was working on it I looked it over, all was OK before I saved. Came back later and saw the steeping grains were gone completely. only other thing i recall is i had been changing the boil amounts a bit to see how it changed amounts of hopping. Edit: ALL other recipes were uneffected.. Thanks again! Cheers!

That’s really weird- here’s my screenshot of an extract batch recipe starting:
CD19551E-A775-4EAD-8576-083CD1CBDFB4.png

Well, i I'm sorry for the trouble but problem solved! In my screenshot you'll see my steeping grains are back! Seems i accidentally clicked on all grain. But after saving my recipes page still showed steeping grains and extract method later that morning. Next day gone! I think we can chalk it up to my browser loading an older page from memory. But fixed, thanks!
Screenshot_2019-11-22-16-37-40.png

Glad to hear it! I was stymied since I couldn't recreate, and I never thought about the AG/Extract changing the steeping grains (but of course it would). Thanks for updating us on the issue and letting us know how it worked out.

Yeah... the AG/Extract was the last thing i thought about. I just happened to see it last minute! Thanks again! Time for a nice chocolate rye pa! Cheers!

Back