Steep Grain experiment ( extract)

Krimbos

Trial Member
Reaction score
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... -red-ale-1

Ok. This was my first brew and it came out great ( of course).

I would like to repeat, but ths time I want to play with the steeping grains. I am not ready ( or interested) in all grain at this point in my brew career, just want to learn about ingredient effects ( see my One Hop experiment post).

Any suggestions? Hops are easy to play with. Grains not so much?

Looks tasty, but I would probably drop the chocolate. With such a small amount it might come through as an off flavor. You might also consider a flame out hop addition, I was pleasantly surprise with amount of aroma the first time I gave it a try.

Another option: You can cold-steep highly roasted grains like chocolate. Procedure is simple: Put the grains (bagged) in about a quart of water and put the mixture in the refrigerator overnight. You'll steep out the "goodness" of the dark roasts without the bitterness that can be identified as an off-flavor. Do this with "chocolate" or "roasted" malts. You can steep any crystal malt and most "toasted" malts. You can steep Munich or Vienna malts but they do better mashed.

Nosy

Awesome idea! Never seen that before. Easy to do and quantify!

Of course, vary the amount of water with the amount of steeping grains.... Use more as you see fit! The liquid just becomes another addition to the boil.

Back