Steam beer/Cali Common

chub1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Ok you Yankies;):D
i have some Californian Common yeast to try out.
Going to knock up what i belive you call Steam beer/Californian Common!!!!?.
Have a recipie and have ordered up some Northern Brewer hops. Question,could i do one with say Chinook on it's own or perhaps Hersbruker or even a mix of the two,or do i just stick to the Northern brewer hops.
I can get two 5 litre batches out of the one pack of yeast
cheers from accross the pond

I say go for it, but I'm not one to rigidly stick to styles. I actually made some of this recently (based off jamil z's recipe) and used mostly northern brewer too, but that wasn't really a conscious decision on my part.
As long as you shy away from IPA levels of bitter and hoppyness, you should be good

Ok you Yankies;):D
i have some Californian Common yeast to try out.
Going to knock up what i belive you call Steam beer/Californian Common!!!!?.
Have a recipie and have ordered up some Northern Brewer hops. Question,could i do one with say Chinook on it's own or perhaps Hersbruker or even a mix of the two,or do i just stick to the Northern brewer hops.
I can get two 5 litre batches out of the one pack of yeast
cheers from accross the pond
I'd keep to the noble hops for a Cali Common. It's a delicate style, not a Helles but in the range. I don't think it will benefit from a heavy hand in the hop bag.

If you were judicious, a little piney zing from the Chinook could make a really nice beer. Don't forget that a Steam Lager is essentially a clean blonde ale. The yeast will come through more than clean European lagers. Playing against those light esters could yield some nice flavor combinations. I'd bitter with something smooth like Magnum or other noble and save the Chinook for a small flavor/aroma addition.Chinook can produce a pretty strident bitter quality that wouldn't be at home in a lighter style like this.
Good luck!
:)

If you were judicious, a little piney zing from the Chinook could make a really nice beer. Don't forget that a Steam Lager is essentially a clean blonde ale. The yeast will come through more than clean European lagers. Playing against those light esters could yield some nice flavor combinations. I'd bitter with something smooth like Magnum or other noble and save the Chinook for a small flavor/aroma addition.Chinook can produce a pretty strident bitter quality that wouldn't be at home in a lighter style like this.
Good luck!
:)
Oky dokey,cheers. I shall do as you suggest thanks. I do like chinook as it happens and did a single hop brew with it which was really good.:cool:

Reactions: J A

Back