StarSan and yeast

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
This might be stupid but...............going to ask anyway.
On some of my beers I us a 1" blowoff into a jar of starsan.
Butch April6-2018 (11).jpg
After the yeast goes off and blows, I end up with a jar that has 2-3" of what I think is yeast.
Can this still be used or does the Starsan kill it/ change the Ph to much etc?
yeast i think.jpg

I don't know. It should be good. Pitch it in some wort and let us know.

Yeah I hear some brewers employ an acid wash to rinse their yeast with. Maybe just check vitality in a starter first just to gauge how it's going to perform. There's no reason for some contamination issue if it s sitting in a jar of star san...:rolleyes:

OK, so I just finished brewing I took the last one Liter of wort, but it's pretty thick with hop matter, added some wort I had in the fridge to bring it up to about 1 1/2 L in my flask. Drained off the starsan, dumped in that beautiful creamy sludge, toss it on the stir late and we'll see what happens.

OK, so I just finished brewing I took the last one Liter of wort, but it's pretty thick with hop matter, added some wort I had in the fridge to bring it up to about 1 1/2 L in my flask. Drained off the starsan, dumped in that beautiful creamy sludge, toss it on the stir late and we'll see what happens.
Great exbeerament! My only thought is if starsan dosent kill yeast then how many wild yeasts have flown in to join the originall yeast or would there be a good enough fermentation from original to eat all the sugars first?

If you can prove viability, it's possible to create a "closed" blowoff system for collecting yeast.

Well it is yeast! this morning i had a look and it went off big time!
So I started off with about 1000ml of wort (1L) This was a mix of what was left in the kettle and some stored wort in the fridge. I did not take any gravity readings because I was to busy....lazy!
No sanitation, just decanted the Starsan wort and dumped what I thought looked like yeast into the flask.
This morning it looks like the Kraeusen when up about 1".

If you can prove viability, it's possible to create a "closed" blowoff system for collecting yeast.
A closed system would work.

Also if you used Vodka instead of Starsan there would be no issue with what yeast sitting in Starsan would do to the yeast.

So next time I am going to do it right, add vodka, closed blowoff system, harvest and build starter properly.

The yeast in the bottom of the blowoff container looks so clean and pure.

I just did this but I threw it away before I read this.
It was a new to me Yeast & my Conditioning Chamber is very hard to clean up, I used a stopper with the center cut out & a 5 foot piece of 1: hose. I ran about 4" of water into an old kettle & used it as an Air Check. I poured it out & realized what it was as it was going down the drain.
So the idea is to catch the blow off in a sanitary container that can vent out CO2 but not allow air back in. Like a 2nd Carboy with 2 necks. 1 has the same Plug with hose & the other with a regular plug & a Air Check. Yeast is collected in the container & CO2 blows out through the Air check.
Only Yeast & CO2 ever makes it into the container & no Star San/Vodka needed to keep out wild yeast.

How about a 5 gallon Brew Bucket with 2 inlets in the top. 1 has a hose barb male fitting & the other had a female fitting that will fit the Carboy Plug with standard Air Check.

Great exbeerament! My only thought is if starsan dosent kill yeast then how many wild yeasts have flown in to join the originall yeast or would there be a good enough fermentation from original to eat all the sugars first?

Good question! Interesting topic for sure.

Starsan does not kill wild yeast. Good news is while wild yeasts are everywhere, they're only plentiful when fruit is ripe. The number one way you'll get wild yeast is through fruit flies. Better news is that the yeast pitch we put in is so large it will likely consume most of the sugars before anything wild could get a foothold, provided it's not one of the wild ones that can eat sugars S. Cerevisiae can't.

Haha. I actually tell my wife not to buy counter fruit when I know I'm going to be brewing. She's often questioned who put the bananas in the fridge.

Back